32) Bloodbath

When Finnick called the battle at the Cornucopia a bloodbath, I looked at him a little strangely. Sure, I'd seen it on the TV. But the TV didn't show all of it; it cut between the battle, and tributes running away. It also didn't show must of the gore of the battle.
I watch as the District One boy drives a spear clean through another girl's chest. She screams in surprise, and falls to the ground. She doesn't move again. The boy pulls the spear out of her chest, and walks away like nothing happened. Like he didn't just kill that girl. Then he runs back into the bloodbath to kill some more people.
Before we dive into the bloodbath, I remember that Willow only has a bow and arrows. "Willow, take one of my knives. For close range." I grab one off the belt and offer it to her as we start to walk into the bloodbath.
She takes it, and asks, "Where's David?" In her dreamy voice after she stabs a tribute in the shoulder. He falls to the ground, clutching his shoulder. "What the hell, bitch? I wasn't trying to kill you!" He yells, lunging toward us.
"Yes you were! I saw it in your eyes!" Willow yells back at him as I drag her away.
Willow starts to run to the left, but I drag her away. "David has a plan." I tell her, dragging her the opposite direction of the water. She nods, and I let go of her arm.
We run through the streets, passing by abandoned buildings. They all look the same, yet they're all different; all of them are two stories, with a door in the middle of the first. On the left and right of the door are windows. They're in the same place on the top floor. The houses are also all made out of wood, painted tropical colors. The colors may be different, but they go together so well that they blend.
Yet they're all different; some houses look bigger. Some seem to lean in a certain direction, as if there was a sudden wind only over that house, that blew so hard the house leaned into it. Some of the windows don't have glass, and some do. Some of the doors are open, some are cracked open a little bit, and some are boarded up. It reminds me of the Capitol, but the Capitol was much fancier. I think the arena is more beautiful, though.
As we run past the buildings a thought occurs to me: When will we know to stop running? Where exactly is David? Now that I think of it, this plan isn't really that well thought out.
"I-I can't run any-anymore." Willow says between coughs.
"I don't think I can e-either." I admit, and we both stop and catch our breath.
"We are we going to hide?" She asks, looking around at all the buildings.
I point to the beige one right in front of us. Willow nods, and we walk up to it. I peek in the window, and I don't see anyone. All I see is darkness and furniture. "I think it's safe... But weapons ready, just to be sure." I whisper, readying my spear.
Willow readies her bow, and I turn the doorknob slowly. The door creaks open slowly, and I step inside. All I can make out before my eyes adjust is darkness, with the outlines out some furniture. It only takes a couple of seconds for our eyes to adjust, and then Willow and I poke around the first floor. We look behind the furniture, behind doors, in the two different rooms that occupy the first floor (a kitchen and living room).
I point at the stairs, and Willow follows me up. I search one of the bedrooms, while Willow takes the other and the bathroom. I check the cabinets, behind the couch, and in the minuscule closet. I lift the sheets off the top of the bed to find nothing. Then I peek under the bed, and scream as a hand covers my mouth, the hand of another tribute grabbing my spear.