One

The soft, yellow sunlight flooded in through my floor-to-ceiling bedroom windows and bounced from the wooden floorboards. I reluctantly rolled over to face my alarm clock. 7 am.

My head pounded from the jet lag, It would be 10pm back home, in the UK, and I should be getting ready for bed right now. I had only been here for 24 hours and everything still felt so surreal.

Heaving myself out of bed, I ran the shower and began thinking of breakfast. I still needed to go food shopping. In fact there was so much I still needed to do. Part of me still wonders if this was really such a good idea, but after everything, what choice did I have? There was nothing left for me back home anymore..

I really should stop calling it that. 'Home'. The reality is, this is my home now. Even if I didn't feel like it yet.

*knock knock knock*

My shower thoughts were interrupted by a soft tapping on the front door. I've only been here a night and I've already got people bothering me..

Still wrapped in a towel, I cracked my apartment door open to reveal a dinky Asian man with dark hair pushed to the side, and the cutest smile plastered across his face.

"Hello, I'm your new neighbor Jungkook! It's nice to meet you" his broken English was sweet but I appreciated the effort.

"I'm Mia, I'd invite you in but.." I gestured to my towel that I was struggling to keep up under my arms. "Thank you for stopping by. It's nice to meet you too." He chuckled, giving me a knowing smile and waved goodbye.

So this is the kind of place where strangers are actually... polite.. to you? Ok then. Got it.

With that, I returned to the bedroom and pulled on my work clothes, a pair of scrubs, Grabbing my headphones and stethoscope, I headed for the door.

I had a busy few days ahead of me, I'd just bought a small office in the town centre and started up my own surgery. I'm a Doctor, in case you're wondering. I had always dreamed of opening my own clinic, I never really thought it would come true, and yet, here I am. I was hoping I'd arrive there and everything would be ready but who knows what state it'll be in when I get there....

I shoved my headphones in my ears as Blackpink's 'DDU-DU DDU-DU' began to play and I began my first walk to work

* * *

So what should've been a 10 minute walk turned into a 60 minute walk after getting lost twice.. Its a good thing I'm my own boss..

I stood in front of my own creation. My little baby. Surprisingly everything was finished. The sign out front looked amazing, the glossy white and blue sign glistened in the sun against the brick wall. The inside looked even better. Everything a pristine and freshly painted.. the smell still lingering. I opened up and prepared for my first patients to come through the doors..

It was 2pm before an old woman pulled into the car park. She hobbled in on her walking stick, peering over her glasses. I was so excited to be seeing my first patient.. until she began speaking to me in Korean. Fast. I only picked up on bits and pieces of it and ended up having to turn her away because I couldnt understand her.

With a heavy sigh I closed up to headed out to lunch. Across the road was a small bakery, with a little canopy and an outside seating area, that I thought looked cute. So I decided to head there. The warm, mouth watering smell of fresh bread and pastries filled my nostrils as I entered the shop and confirmed I had made a good choice.

I approached the counter and, using the little korean I knew, began to order.

"jaem beigeul jomjusey" I stuttered and stumbled over the words, and apparently it wasnt enough for the lady to understand me. She tilted her head to the side in confusion and made an 'eh?' sound. "Do you speak english?" I asked. Her confused look only grew.

So I began my sentence again, it came out even worse this time. "I. Just. Want. My. Fucking. Fooooood" I groaned, loudly, banging my head against the counter with every word. God, these people must be thinking Im crazy.

I remained in my position a little while longer, until i heard a deep yet soft voice repeat what I had tried to say, perfectly. I slowly lifted my head as a brown paper bag was placed in front of me and before I could even reach for my wallet, the man handed the cashier some change.

I looked up to see a tall handsome man with golden blonde hair flopping in front of his mesmorising chocolate brown eyes, giving me a warm smile.

"Jeongmal gamsahamnida" I bowed slightly towards him as my cheeks flashed red with embarrassment.

"Dont worry, I speak english." He chuckled. "You're welcome though"

"You really didnt have to.." I said, rubbing the back of my neck, trying to hide my blushing cheeks.

"Judging by what I just witnessed.. yes, yes I did." A large grin appeared on his face, showing off his dimple. He looked intimidating yet so sweet and welcoming.

I laughed with him and for the first time since I got here, I didnt feel quite so out of place.

"Whats your name?" I asked.

"Kim Namjoon."