Epilogue

"Hey, Pyrrha. It's...It's me again."

Jaune stood by himself in the outskirts of Mistral. The battle at Haven had been somewhat successful; they had managed to take down the man named Arthur, and Salem's minions had backed off for another day. Haven was safe for now...but Salem's followers still lurked around the world, and Pyrrha was still gone.

"Um...You know how hard it's been without you. I mean, I had to fight you, and it was just...soul crushing," Jaune clutched his sword tighter. "But...I know it wasn't you. Not the real you."

Her body had been cremated by Cinder, her ashes spread through the wind. Jaune didn't even have a grave to mourn her at.

Yet, still...

The cold autumn breeze whistled through the trees, and Jaune shivered. It was probably time to head back inside. After all, the fight wasn't anywhere near over.

"...I just wanted to tell you that I'm so thankful for everything you've done for me," Jaune swallowed the lump in his throat. "Thank you for training with me, and for teaching me never to give up..."

He swore he felt the wind mutter his name slowly, but Jaune dismissed it as a figment of his imagination. After all, what could he possibly be hearing?

"Thank you, Pyrrha," Jaune mustered a weak smile on his features, attempting not to shed any more tears. "Thank you...for everything...and..."

The wind grew more gentle as Jaune turned to leave. As he walked, a stray maple leaf the color of burnt sunrises fell at his feet.

This time, Jaune's smile was genuine.

"Thank you for always being with me."