Chapter Five

Matt

I rapped on the sheep's door. "Near? Are you in there?"

"What does Matt want?" he enquired.

"Just to talk," I assured him. "Nothing else. Can I come in?" I didn't bother waiting for an answer.

Inside his room was a labyrinth of dominoes, black tiles and white spots made a dizzying pattern on the wooden floor. I carefully tiptoed around the edge of the pseudo-city to perch on the edge of his bed. Near crouched in the centre of his black-and-white kingdom, a tiny bleached king.

I adjusted my goggles and wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans. I've never had to tell anyone this before. It felt incredibly weird.

"Ah, Near..." I trailed off.

He gave me a level glance, cool appraisment wrapped up in the look. "If Matt does not wish to taunt me, he may speak his mind. He has never been overly cruel to myself."

Okay. Right. He wouldn’t be thinking that way for long, I should think. "I want you to stay away from Mello."

Near froze in place. Had I struck a nerve? "Why is Matt asking me this? Does he fear me as a rival for Mello's affections?"

"Goddamn it, Near! I don't, he doesn't-" And Near just stared at me, one eyebrow raised. His perfect facade was back. "-fine. Look, you touched a nerve back there. He might, might, feel something for you. And neither of you are good for each other. You two are like the other's personal kryptonite. You'll destroy each other. It's like, like," I groped for a suitable metaphor. "Like touching the sun and the moon. Mello will burn you to a crisp, and you will freeze his heart."

Near was still, like the ice moon I called him. "If that is all? Matt should leave now."

I stood, but I didn't go, not yet. "Promise me. Promise me you won't go after him."

He just nodded and turned back to his dominoes. I wanted to kick them over, like some stupid child obsessed with a guy who would never, could never like them back, especially when they were obsessed with someone else.

Just before I step outside, Near said, in a thin voice, "I will not pursue Mello. You have my word. I will not play with fire unless I have to."

A/N: So guys, what do you think? :)

Thanks for the votes!