[46]

Barbara had returned to the Manor early that morning, her father had dropped her there before leaving for work. Though she did learn of all that happened in her absence through Richard and was quite disappointed.

"I leave you guys for one week and this is what you end up in," she was shaking her head, "and here I thought you all were capable enough to function without my presence."

"Come on, Babs, it wasn't that bad."

"Really, Dick? Look, these two got grounded," she pointed over to Tim and Damian who were sitting together, much to her surprise, "Stephanie fractured her leg, Jason went on patrol without Oracle and ended up beating the wrong gang. But looks like you're the only one who didn't end up in a disastrous situation. Quite impressive, I must say."

"Figured I'm the sanest of the lot."

"I beg to differ, Dickybird," Jason argued, "the only reason you're not in a disastrous situation is that you do have someone else to look after you as well."

Barbara picked up on the hint immediately, "ah I see, someone who keeps you sane? And that reminds me, I absolutely have to call Sayuri, it's been a while since we last talked."

Richard's face was tainted with a scarlet hue at that remark.

"Stop blushing, Grayson, it does not suit you," Damian remarked.

"I beg to differ," Steph joined in as well, "he looks so adorable like that."

"Shut up all of you, I'm leaving," rather flustered he stood up but was pulled back down by Jay.

"Plus, we don't know what happened on your patrol nights in Bludhaven," Tim added, "you could have ended up in a disaster there and are just withholding that from us intentionally."

"I did not."

"After Bludhaven then, I presume," Jay quipped, "probably when you forgot to return home on Friday night and turned up on Saturday even after lunch."

Barbara raised an eyebrow skeptically, "but if I'm not wrong, your shift ends earlier on Fridays, doesn't it?"

"So?" Richard folded his arms defiantly.

"So where were you exactly?" Steph asked.

He shrugged nonchalantly, "I don't think you're entitled to know every single thing that happens in my life."

"And that's all the confirmation we needed," Jay smirked, "we're not entitled to know every single thing that happens in your love life, correct?"

"I'm warning you Jaybird, one more word from you will get you blocked from all of my social media."

Jason rolled his eyes sarcastically, "great threat, works every time. Of course, I wouldn't dare..."

He asked, "then why the hell do you keep pestering me?"

"Goodness, Dick, that's not called pestering. I'm only motivating you to pick your guts and make it official with her."

Steph rose her hands in the air as if excited, "hear, hear. Let's make a petition for that."

Tim was slightly shaking his head, amused at their dramatics while Damian was staring at them as if they were a bunch of idiots planning to set the Manor on fire.

But Richard seemed a little confused by Jay's words, "official? But I haven't proposed to her yet."

His remark set the whole group laughing, except for Dami who was still trying to process why they were acting like that.

"Of course not, idiot, I'm not asking you to marry her straight away. Tell me again why you're so old school?"

"Tell me again why you're so irritating?"

Even Barbara was thoroughly enjoying their nonsensical banter as she made no attempt to put a stop to it.

"All we're missing right now are some popcorn," Steph whispered in her ear to which she totally agreed.

"Though if you do decide to get married," Jay resumed and it seemed as if he had gotten a bit serious about that, "I won't let you choose any other Best Man except me."

Richard glanced at Tim who hadn't yet said a word but was obviously feeling uncomfortable, "I was kinda thinking about Tim..."

But before he could complete the sentence, Jason interrupted him as if infuriated, "don't you dare think about Drake! I won't let him be my replacement this time. Bruce might have gotten away with it but I swear, Richard John Grayson, you'll be killed from my own hands if you ever dare think of such an atrocity."

By then both Barbara and Stephanie were dissolving in laughter and sensing the murderous intent in Jay had instilled Damian's concentration as well.

Dick on the other hand was alarmed at the sudden turn of tables, "easy there, Jaybird. I was thinking about Tim but that has nothing to do with him being the Best Man. Though you would allow him to be second best, right?"

He ignored his last question but seemed to have calmed down nevertheless, "oh so what were you thinking about him?"

"I was only going to say that we're making him extremely uncomfortable."

Tim rolled his eyes as he mouthed the words "thank you for noticing" at him.

"Okay, stop or else I know you guys will wreck up a disaster now as well if not enough has happened already," Barbara diverted the topic even though she had been quite amused by the proceedings, "is there at least one good thing that happened while I was gone and I missed?"

"Yup," Steph had a wide smile on her face, "Tim and Dami sorted everything out between themselves and have agreed to get along."

"Really?" She looked quite startled at first but a smile quickly spread on her features, "that's wonderful."

"The deal stands only if Drake behaves well to me," Damian elaborated, "the second he resorts to his old ways, I would have no objection to snapping his neck."

"And for me, the deal stands as long as Damian behaves like a human. The second he resorts to his old ways, I'll call Satan to pick him up."

At Tim's remark, Dami shot him a stern glare at which the rest of the Batkids expected him to pounce on him, but much to their surprise he did nothing more threatening than that.

"Woah, boys, calm down a bit, will you?" Barbara remarked, "anyhow since I'm back and I'll be taking over Oracle from tonight, I expect all of you to be on patrol, except for Dami, of course."

"Yes ma'am," the rest of them saluted her.

"You're staying at home too, Steph," she added, "it would be better if you wait for two more days."

"Aw man, not again," Steph groaned as if quite disappointed at that statement.

"Believe me, honey, I'm saying that for your own good."

"I know, Barbara, and that's exactly why it sucks."

"Don't forget, Stephanie, you're not as bad at self-preservation as I am," Tim remarked immediately.

"Hell yeah! Proof that I raised you right, Babybird," Jay added, eyes glittering with mischief as he and Tim bumped fists, "I am so proud of you."

***