1x17 Moon Over Bourbon Street

(Opening)

Klaus: [voiceover] They say the passage of time will heal all wounds. But, the greater the loss, the deeper the cut, and the more difficult the process to become whole again. The pain may fade, but scars serve as a reminder of our suffering, and make the bearer all the more resolved never to be wounded again. So, as time moves along, we get lost in distractions. Act out in frustration. React with aggression. Give in to anger. And, all the while, we plot and plan as we wait to grow stronger, and before we know it, the time passes. We are healed. Ready to begin anew.

(Mikaelson Compound)

[Genevieve lays lazily on the couch in Klaus' art room, wearing just her lingerie, while Klaus gets dressed]

Genevieve: Spoken like a man who's made peace with his demons.

Klaus: [buttons his shirt] My demons are dead, or chased off.

Elijah: [enters the room and glares at Genevieve] Yes, apart from the one lingering monster with whom you share a bed. [He holds out her heels in his hand] I trust you can find your clothing and the door.

[Genevieve stands up, takes her heels from him, and leaves the room]

Elijah: [annoyed] You do recall that woman tortured our sister?

Klaus: She also revealed the truth about our sister's treachery.

Elijah: And as a consequence, Rebekah is gone forever.

Klaus: [shrugs] A desire which she apparently harbored for quite some time!

Elijah: Niklaus, it has been a month. Now, I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you. But, you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action.

Klaus: [grabs a paintbrush and returns to his art] Why must I, exactly?

Elijah: Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king. You wanted this throne. Now, you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that.

Klaus: [begins to paint and only half-pays attention to him] Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits.

Elijah: [snatches the paintbrush from Klaus' hand] If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter. Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus. Let's make this city whole again.

Klaus: Perhaps it is too broken to mend.

[Klaus takes back his paintbrush and returns to his painting]

Elijah: If you won't do anything, I will.