THE BITTER TRUTH

After meeting with Jake and Harry, that was two weeks ago, my grandma told me we will be attending my sister's wedding that will be held in saint Louise cathedral.

As we were flying back to New York, I showed my grandma my sister's message.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier? We could have found a way of avoiding to go to that wedding." My grandma said and when I looked at her I realized she was serious.

"You know I have always loved you since you were born,even though sometimes am always harsh but you are literally my daughter. Even if you are my grandchild, you are my daughter by law." With saying that she covered her mouth as if she said something wrong.

Then it hit me, what does she mean by law. "Grandma, what do you mean??" She looked at me like a kid who was caught stealing candy.

" I think it's time you know the truth, when we reach in New York and settle in a hotel I will explain everything." She said and continued reading a fashion magazine.

I was curious the rest of the journey and it felt like years before we landed to the airport. We boarded an taxi to our hotel.

My grandma avoided any chance of eye contact with me and she looked very uncomfortable.

She sat on the bed and tapped beside her for me to sit.

"Let's order some food first," she took her phone and ordered Chinese, our favourite.

I sat there quiet while curiosity was burning me up. I was also nervous for some reason.

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door and a waitress came in with our food in silence.

I had lost appetite but seeing the delicacy in front of me I decided to forget everything and devour my food.

I finished eating but I realized grandma had not touched her food.

"Grandma, are you not going to eat?"

"Let's talk first,"my nervousness came back full force.

"Anna, I know you are a grown up woman and I know you will be twenty one in five days. I have kept this from you since you were thirteen. When you were five years, I heard your parents talking about giving you away to a foster home.

I think you know Drake Brown, Harrison's father. His mother was my best friend since highschool and Drake and your dad were close friends. Drake's mother died when he was sixteen years old and drake was left with nothing.

I had to step in and help the poor boy. I gave him a loan of five thousand dollars and told him to start a business to help him. He started by selling car spare parts in a small warehouse. Your father stopped being friends with him and despised him since he was poor.

His business eventually grew and he owns all the Brown's engineering companies. That made your father hate him more.

Drake met only one girl whom they had one nightstand but he fell in love with the girl. He searched for her but he never found her. Two years later he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

He used to tell me everything since he is like a son to me. He was told if he undergoes chemotherapy he will lose ability to have kids. The doctors advised him to store his sperms just in case he would like to have kids.

He underwent chemotherapy and started looking for a surrogate mother for his child. For one year without luck he decided to adopt a child.

I told him to be patient and he obeyed me. Two years later after he was announced as the richest man in New York. Your father became angry and decided he will do anything to destroy him. He even sent a gang to kill him.

He was shot on the legs and that's how he lost his ability to walk. By that time you were four years. I thought he might die therefore I took action in my own hands and found a woman who became Harry's surrogate mother.

I never told him about the plan. Your father realized his weakness and decided to take advantage of him. Since they had twins and they wanted only one child, they wanted to give you away to Drake in exchange with three quarter of his company shares.

Drake was desperate and had agreed to the offer. He was to sign an agreement after six months.

When I looked at you, you were very innocent. I could not allow my own blood to be given to foster home.

I decided to tell Drake about the surrogate mother who was 3 months pregnant. He was happy on that I saved his company and I gave him what he always wanted. Harry doesn't know about it.

When you were 12, that day when I took you away, your parents literally disowned you. They refused to support you in everything and that's when I decided to claim your custody. I called my lawyer and he helped me through the process. You officially became my daughter by law."

I could not believe my own parents disowned me.

"Forgive me, but I had to help you. You were the most obedient kid and adorable and I always see the younger version of me in you."

"Thank you grandma, I don't know what would have happened to me if it was not your help." I was crying with anger and I felt hatred towards my parents.

"Do you still want to attend the wedding?" I just nodded yes while processing everything, "okay let's sleep or else we will be late."