Chapter Three

The Black Forests were quieter in the day than the night. It was peaceful as we walked through. Dim light shined through the thick, dark trees. The only animals around were not to be seen. There would be Blacktail rabbits, Tuxedo foxes, and...

Shadow wolves.

I had to keep a close eye around me, so I wouldn't get chased again.

"Hey, Lukas," I said to break the silence.

"Hm?" he said as he turned his head.

"Why did you decide to help me, when we have just met?"

"Well, you remind me of someone," he said as he stared into my amethyst eyes.

"Who?"

"Another girl that looked just like you that I met when I was six."

"Is that so?"

"Yep, and we became best friends."

Grief came down his face.

"What happened to her?" I asked feeling sorry for Lukas.

"She moved away.'

I put my hand on his shoulder. "She will always be in your heart." I smiled at him.

He smiled back as I took my hand off his shoulder.

We continued to walk and as we walked, we started to hear close noises like a groan. I was scared, but we had weapons with us, so I felt a little bit better. As the noise became louder, Lukas had stopped and extended his arm to stop me, too. I looked like he was glaring at something. I peered over to see what he was staring at. I was shocked at the sight in front of us.

It was a Winged Shadow!

I froze in fear. Lukas turned to look at me. He had no sign of fear in his eyes, and that made me calm down and relax.

"Prepare your weapon,' Lukas said sternly as he faced the Winged Shadow.
I nodded as I moved next to Lukas. I took off my bow from across my chest, grabbed three arrows from my quiver, and loaded my bow.

"Ready?' Lukas asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I answered.

The Winged Shadow roared with its eyes glowing red and flapping his demonic wings.

Lukas charged with full speed towards the creature. I was surprised by his speed and I ran as fast as I could to Lukas. I aimed my bow to the creature's head. I shot and two arrows struck its head. One of them hit its left eye. It roared in pain. I smiled with pleasure. I glanced where Lukas was and saw him slash the Winged Shadow with his sword. Black blood dripped off his silver sword as he panted. I did see some cuts on him, but they were small. I loaded three more arrows to my bow and aimed at the creature's chest. I took a deep breath and I shot. All three arrows went into its chest. Another roar of pain erupted from the Winged Shadow.

Lukas was going for another hit, until the Winged Shadow raised its claws and hit Lukas and he slammed into a boulder as he cried out in pain and then he collapsed, lying on the boulder.

I gasped.

I ran over to Lukas and I saw crimson blood running down his head and mouth.

I felt my eyes well up with tears as I checked his heartbeat.

Still beating.

I wiped my tears with relief.

I saw Lukas's sword and fury came down on me.