Chapter Ten

My back cracked as I got up from the stone floor. The pain was still there, since it did come from last night. It did feel horribly painful. At lest I wasn't paralyzed. I still don't know how I wasn't paralyzed, but I'm alive, at least.

I stood up stretching my damaged back, hearing more cracks and pops. I took a deep, sharp breath and let out a long sigh.

"Are you okay?" a familiar voice said.

I looked, stretching my arms, to see Zarah.

"Oh, hi," I said, putting my arms down and walking towards the bars.

"I'm going to get you out of here."

I stared blankly at Zarah. Was she out of her mind? The queen could probably see us from every place we go, but I didn't know that.

"Are you crazy?" I asked in a loud whisper.

"No, but I have a plan, and I am planning to go with you anyways."

"But why?"

Zarah folded her arms and raised her brow. "Isn't it obvious?"

"Yes," I said. "I know, but you know the punishments."

"So? She isn't going to hurt me when we escape, right?"

I raised my finger, about to speak, but I put my hand down.

"I guess," I sighed.

"Great, I'll get you out at midnight."

Zarah spun on her heel and walked out of the dungeon.

I didn't know how long I could last until midnight, but that was that.

It had been a few hours since Zarah or anyone came, besides giving me food. I didn't see Queen Sorcha for the whole few hours, but I was glad and nervous at the same time.

I didn't know why i did this next thing, but I did.

I grabbed my dagger, which was tucked into my boot attached to a strap, grabbed my hair and cut off most of it, when it was short and jagged.

Again, I don't know why I did it, I just did. I think my instinct was just telling me that there was going to be more things ahead and this was me.

I waited until midnight, hearing footsteps coming to my cell. I saw a dim light coming from a lantern, held by Zarah. She stuck a silver key into the keyhole, she quickly and quietly opened the old cell door. She blew out the lantern and put it to her side.

She grabbed my hand in the dark, and we strided up to the main room. We ran towards the castle doors, until someone grabbed my other hand. I looked, but it was dark, so I couldn't see anyone, but a figure in a dark cloak.

"Raven," Lukas's voice whispered.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance, asking myself why Lukas is here.

"What do you want?" I whispered, angrily.

Lukas's firm grip on my hand loosened.

"I want to come with you."

"Why? You betrayed me, lied to me. Why would you want to come with me?"

Lukas let go of my hand. "Just to do something in return for what I've done."

I sighed.

"Fine, but I have to make some conditions. Both of you." I looked at Zarah, even though it was dark. "I will not trust both of you right away, since you are part of Sorcha's rule, maybe not right now, but still."

Lukas and Zarah nodded which I could see, when my eyes adjusted to the dark, but I was pretty sure it was dark vision, being half-shadow and all.

I took Lukas's hand with my free hand and ran to the doors. We pushed them and ran out of the castle, not even looking back and running through the night.