Chapter Seven

It was nighttime, but it was bright with the moonlighting the empty spaces between the dark trees, so Lukas and I kept walking. I was scared, but I had weapons and I always kept my guard up. This night in the forest was...

Strange.

It was colder, darker, and more howling from the Shadow Wolves. I grabbed my daggers from either side of my thighs and guarded myself.

Then, out of nowhere, a Dark Scream, a Winged Shadow, and a Shadow Wolf were right in front of us. The Shadow Wolf wasn't actually black, it was white.

Not a whole pack of wolves, just one, but it had two of the strongest monsters in the forest. The Winged Shadow was standing in between the other two monsters.

The Dark Scream looked like it was about to start the screaming.

"Cover your ears!" I yelled at Lukas.

He covered them and I closed my eyes, while the monster started screaming. It didn't bother me actually. In fact, it wasn't loud.

I felt myself feel lighter as black whisps surrounded me, noticing my eyes glowing purple. I felt myself change into a shadow. I looked at my black hands, whisps of shadow-looking smoke coming from them.

I flew up to the monsters and whispered, "Send Queen Sorcha a message that...

"There's a surprise for her," I said in a frightening tone.

The three monsters left into the depths of the forests. The Shadow Wolf looked afraid and the only one with feeling. I felt bad, but I didn't trust it. I changed back, and Lukas looked surprised.

"Surprise," I said to Lukas. "Apparently, I can go into full form. That's good to know."

"I have actually never learned that half shadows can turn into full shadows," Lukas said.

"I thought you were an expert at this."

"I am, I just never learned that."

I slid my daggers back in the sheaths on either side of my thighs.

"We should get going," Lukas said, gripping the handle of his sword.

It was dark, but I lit up my lantern for the darker areas and started to walk again. The howling didn't stop. The trees blocked every other foot or so. The moon would peek every once in a while. It was always a full moon. If it were a new moon, it would be the Darkest Day, when the shadows to come out. They called it the Darkest Day because it's dark all day. The shadows are more powerful on those days, so when's there's a new moon, I always have my guard up.

"So, when will we be there?" I asked Lukas.

"Soon," Lukas responded. "maybe we'll be there at dawn."

"I'll probably be asleep."

"Okay..."

We kept walking, the moon in the middle of the sky. I was starting to get a little exhausted, but not as bad as I thought. Lukas noticed I looked a little tired, so he grabbed my hand and sat down near a large tree.

I drifted off to sleep in no time and I fell asleep against the tree.

I woke up to the sound of growling. I jumped right awake, but I stayed silent.

I took a look behind the tree I laid against. I saw Lukas arguing with Timber.

I couldn't hear what they were saying since I had just woken up, but I heard a few things that made me confused and scared.

"I told you, Timber," Lukas said. "I'm not going to turn her in, I only want her to take back to the throne she belongs in."

Timber scruffed Lukas's hair.

"Oh, how I missed your long hair." he stopped when Lukas smacked his hand. "It showed who you are. A wild, untamed animal, now it's just clean and trained as a domestic dog."

Lukas snarled.

My heart was thumping loudly against my chest. I took a few quiet, deep breaths. I calmed down. I didn't want to hear any more of it, so I just went back to sleep, trying to forget what happened that night.