Chapter Nine

I woke up to the sound of knocking on my cell bars. I didn't want any visitors, because of Lukas and Queen Sorcha.

I was facing away from the door, so I couldn't see them. They kept knocking, so I lifted my head and sat up, to see it wasn't Lukas or Sorcha.

It was a girl to be my age, but she wasn't Amaya.

Not like all the people with the dark hair, she had platinum white hair with some silver tints. She had beautiful lilac eye color. I don't think she was a shadow at all. She wore a long burgundy coat over a black shirt, and black heeled boots.

"Hey, I'm sorry for interrupting you," she said in a quiet sweet voice. "but I need to talk to you and to bring your food."

She slid the tray from beneath the bar doors. It was only two slices of stale bread and cold stew. I didn't want to eat it, because I didn't know what was in it, so I just moved in next to me.

The girl sat on her knees.

"You're not going to eat?"

I shook my head, not wanting to say anything, because of everything that happened.

"I understand that you are not in the mood to talk, but I need to tell you something."

I sat with my legs crossed.

"Go on," I said.

"I'm Zarah, I've been the queen's sorceress and servant. And..." Zarah sighed. "I never liked her rule over these years. Do you even know what she would do?"

I gulped and nodded, preparing myself for what was going to be said.

"She..." Zarah sighed again. "She harms us if we don't obey. We sometimes don't obey, but I take the blame."

"But why?" I asked.

"I always said I did it when I didn't actually do it. I only did it because I don't want them to go through the pain."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"The pain would distract them."

Zarah groaned and winced as she put her arm on her opposite shoulder.

"Can I see?" I pointed to her shoulder.

Zarah seemed hesitant and it looked like she was about to deny it, but then she took off her jacket and turned around. She was wearing a black tank top to make it easier.

I gasped on what I saw.

I saw slash marks, claw marks, basically every scar mark imaginable. I moved the strap of her top off-shoulder, seeing new wounds, maybe from yesterday or earlier today. I put her straps back to her shoulders.

"You can put your jacket back on," I said.

Zarah grabbed her jacket and slipped it back on.

"Anything else you want to tell me?"

Zarah nodded.

"You need to dethrone Queen Sorcha."

I didn't know what to think.

"How do I do that?" I said, thinking she was joking. "She's way more powerful than me. I just learned what my powers could do and I don't think I controlled them, yet."

"That's fine," Zarah said. "I can teach you, once we can escape, but I don't know if it's a possibility or not."

"I don't think we can," I said standing up, then folding my arms.

"Why?" Zarah asked.

"The queen could probably see us and Lukas will always be guarding me. Another thing is I don't think I can trust you or anybody else."