Chapter 10

Baby steps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kindness is the only true disease we should spread

*******************************************

Agatha had been tasked with taking the children to the school Nnamdi had discovered around their residence.

Their enrollment was one of the things they had conversed about through out the weekend. Agatha was still a bit skeptical with getting the children being accustomed to a home which would only be temporary.

She had spoken to her husband about the visit she intended to give Iheanyị where he was being held but he shot down the idea.

Nnamdi believed the children was their main priority. Being besotted with the children was a mere understatement when it came to Nnamdi.

Agatha carefully dished out her meal of porridge yam with smoked fish, garnished with uziza leaf into four food flasks, her husband's inclusive as she prepared herself to take the children to school.

Nnamdi had a class that morning and would have been the one who sought out the school. He dashed into the kitchen with a smile, placing a kiss on his wife's lips as he retrieved the flask in her hand.

Agatha helped him fix the collar of his shirt caressing his chest while at her task. The children busted out of their rooms each smacking their lips rapidly as words flew out of their mouths.

Nnamdi stared at the children with glint in his eyes. He reached into his pockets and fished out naira notes and placed them into their hands. Adaugo the eldest got a fifty naira note, Chijioke and Obanma had twenty naira notes to themselves.

He placed kisses on their foreheads before he dashed out. Their mouths hung open and their eyes trailed Nnamdi as he practically ran out of the house.

Their eyes descended on Agatha,  Chijioke 's hands on his forehead as he scrunched his nose in mild disgust at the gesture.

She simply shrugged and continued with her preparation. It was amusing the way the children reacted to what Nnamdi did. She knew they were not used to such.

"Daa are we going back to our old school when mummy wakes up?" Chijioke stooped low to tie his shoe laces as the questions emerged from his mouth

"Nna m I don't know yet. Let's wait till she wakes up ịnụ". Agatha understood the boy's concern but she had no powers to wake their mother up. On the other hand Obanma was engulfed by happiness as she stared at the note in her hand.

The joy she felt  reflected on the smile that was bestowed to Agatha when she zipped up her gown.

Adaugo had dressed up properly before stepping into the room. Puberty had whispered a tune of modesty and her body begun to dance to the rhythm.

Agatha had relinquished her perfumes while Nnamdi purchased deodorants for her. Agatha was still expectant the idea of the little girl menstruating always rang in her head.

Agatha stared at the young girl with her two younger siblings, still amazed at the fact that he had become an instant mom.

"Adaugo prepare tea for your younger ones, we're running late already. Let me have my bath"

Agatha quickly left the children and divested herself of the clothing she had on before proceeding to prepare.

"Obanma bịa see this  money has the head of a soldier while this one has the head of a fine man" Chijioke extracted the ten naira note from his short and stretched it towards the young girl, who assessed the two pieces of paper.