Chapter 68

The Inevitable

Chidiogo's inquisition left Obanma fuming even as she arrived at their house. Her mother had instructed Adaugo to help her fetch some vegetables at the market which she hadn't objected to because she also wanted to see the village. Ngozi had left almost immediately with her son Chijioke who had gotten a distressing message. The last time she had been in the village was for her wedding.

She loved how blissful things were between her and Olumide who would also have loved to visit but couldn't due to work. Adaugo enjoyed the change of environment and basked in the fresh air and earthy scent of the village soil. Lagos was a commercial city and she never enjoyed the freedom of roaming on village roads. She had missed the village so much and when Agatha and Nnamdi opted to go with her she didn't object. It was going to be an avenue to catch up with the couple even though she hated that her cousin remained in Enugu with NNamdi's mother.

Obanma had returned home scarcely minutes after Ngozi and Chijioke did. Chijioke was still in shock because of the evil fate that had befallen him. He was pleased that his workers were alive but he had promised to involve the police in order to investigate the young boy who had infiltrated his place to drug his workers and burn down his place.

He didn't know how to go about the loss he had incurred because of his investments, the loans, and his savings. Chijioke's heart was burdened heavily but his mother had tried his best to comfort him.

Learning about his mother's discovery drew on his nerves as he felt they were being watched and so advised that they get to the house. Chijioke quickly contacted Obiora with news about his misfortune and the suspects. The king promised to contact the police after he had instructed the youth leader to seal off the land till the authorities arrived.

Ngozi revealed all she had remembered at the site to Chijioke who fumed because of how ludicrous things were to him.

A lunatic whom his uncle was working with was after his life because his mother had turned down his offer of infidelity. Chijioke had vowed to get square with the mad man and even do worse than his father had done.

This time he didn't blame his father for protecting his dignity and fending off a dog like that.

"Chijioke he is an evil man" His mother had cautioned as threats rolled out of Chijioke's mouth.

"He is a pig and a coward that's what he is and by God! I will make him pay dearly for all the pain he has caused my family"

"We will leave everything to the authorities and King Obiora. They are in better positions to handle the lunatic"

Obanma was even more devasted than Chijioke had been when she had heard about the incident. She had gotten a strange feeling about the day and even mentioned to Onyedikachi when she was intoxicated.

"Dede I am so sorry about this" Wrapping her hands around her brother she began to sob causing Chijioke's temper to waver.

"Obanma Ozuola, It is alright"

She couldn't help her emotions as the tears poured out more and more. "We came to celebrate my marriage and now this? When will it all stop? I'm tired of all the drama and the pain they have caused us"

Chijioke held his sister in place and commanded her to wipe her tears.

"We have been surviving through all the hatred Oba, haven't we? Trust me everything is going to be fine inu. We now know the truth about everything"

Ngozi touched by how pained her daughter was, drew her aside and bestowed on her a hug. Obanma felt like a child again, loved and cared for by her family.