Chapter 39

Ije

"Road trips are sweeter when the sun shines" Obanma  began running her hands across the window of the car. The glass very much translucent due to water pelting on it,felt cold. She plastered her head on the object trying to see through the pouring rain but gave up scarcely after she began.

Looking through the window to admire grasses, trees and strange beings on the road made traveling adventurous.

"When will you realize that the rain is our weather? It's not called weather for two for nothing" Onyedikachi's words seemed taunting but he bore a staid expression as he spoke,probably to redirect the glare Obanma cast on his person.

She exhaled deeply, reflecting utter  exasperation then picked up her phone and began fondling the item. Onyedikachi was the one driving but his eyes never failed to learn of her every move. It wasn't hypnosis but somehow his will had completely been surrendered to the girl.

"Where are we going?" She demanded, her face wearing a myriad of expressive thoughts which her eyes spoke boldly. Her lips on the hand held its own even though he suspected they wanted to utter more with the way she unconsciously bit them.

"We're going to a place that you would love"

"Does the place have a name?" She prodded, this time honing her attention on him.

"It's a secret" He replied with a wink "Don't you trust me?"

"I do... But knowing could help me calculate how many more hours we're going to endure the rain. "

A lightening tore across the sky and the thunder rumbled grudgingly behind it. It almost seemed as if they had called more of the downpour as they faded away.

A little smile appeared on his face and he cleared his throat." My mother told me that if one caught the lightening quickly, you'd see a lamb"

"A lamb?" Obanma questioned slightly amused.

"Yes.. It has something to do with Christianity" He continued as his lips drew apart in a quite attractive smile.

"I've never heard of that one" She replied amidst chortles.

"I found out she made it up after. It was actually my father's idea to lie to me. They used something as meek as a lamb to help me overcome my fear for lightning and thunder. You wouldn't want to know what these two did to me in the past"

Her brows rose as quickly as her interest was piqued by his tale. " We used to play in the rain from what I can faintly remember. You were never scared of thunder or lightning then"

"I would always stop and stare... I wanted to see the white lamb who caused all the rumble"

"You  haven't seen anything, have you?"  She enquired with a grin

"Yes I have" His hand reached out to capture hers as he squeezed her palm. "Now when the lightning dances across the dark sky and the waters accompany the roaring thunder... I think of my Mma."

She smiled radiantly at him and exhaled deeply clearing the emotions that threatened to clog her throat.

"Onyi I love you so much but this poetic side of you has to go " She declared sweetly placing a kiss on his idle hand. Then smiled in utter amusement

"I love you my angel and I would sing you odes from the mountain peak if I could, Tis not a drivel my dear ". They both laughed hard at the nonsense he spewed trying to mimic the English. A flash of sadness flashed across his face as his laughter faded and soon quickly faded away with the advent of his statement.