Chapter 31

****************************************

The drive to the village had been a difficult journey for Onyedikachi. He had been plagued with a vexatious traffic jam that left most vehicles lined up on the road. He had often stepped out of his car to check if there were signs of movement up ahead but was left with the rage of disappointment.

The cars had been moving initially at a snail's pace, different vehicles trying to forcibly overtake each other just to get ahead. He had lost count of the verbal abuse that flew around, some from him and others from other incredibly vexed drivers.

Most commercial vehicles he noticed were much carefree on the road and they didn't seem deterred by potholes that he had carefully avoided by maneuvering his vehicle the right way. It seemed as though the more expensive a vehicle was, the more careful the driver became.

The drivers had left their vehicles, each standing at close proximity to their cars. Some passengers had even stepped out after a while and helped themselves to snacks being hawked around by villagers that lived nearby.

Onyedikachi stood beside his car, tapping his key gently on the door which he left ajar. The children who were hawking seemed elated with the predicament as it brought them many customers to purchase their merchandise.

He didn't share their in their Joy and felt quite selfish for wishing that other vehicles disappeared so that he would leave. The children ran into excitedly from one car to the other selling items that ranged from fruits, vegetables to even meat.

He had laughed heartily when he saw a young man whom he noticed earlier, which he assumed he had gone back home to kill carrying a dead grass cutter around. Who was going to purchase that?

The meat had been purchased by an elderly man in front much to his chagrin. Lots of women had bought enough food items that he was certain a meal could be made in the different vehicles were utensils and a source heat to be present.

Two children charged Gayly at him, each flashing fried breadfruit and coconut secured in transparent nylons. He didn't find the nuts appealing but he felt bad about turning the children away.

"Ego oné? How much?" He asked the much younger child, a girl he was certain was only scarcely older than Adannaya his niece.

"Ke na mbu 200 naira. This one costs 200 naira"

Onyedikachi knew the price wasn't as high as the girl had spouted but quickly fished out a five hundred note and purchased two pieces, one from each girl. They left happily after he relinquished his supposed change to them. He tossed the item to the backseat amongst other edible items he had purchased for his mother, Olivia, Arinze and his little niece. The little girl's Igbo dialect reminded him of Obanma. He often teased her about the way they sounded but he could tell bits of Enugu had infiltrated her tongue, causing her to sound slightly different.

She had always gotten back at him with the L and R factor, that most of his Anambra denizens struggled with. He didn't pronounce rice as lice but still felt taunted when ever she mentioned it.

He sighed for the umpteenth time after glancing at his wristwatch. It was supposed to be a two hour drive but it had almost taken the whole day.

"Chairman! Abeg you sabi wetin dey happen for front" A lanky bus driver bellowed approached Onyedikachi.

He shook his head in response and the man sighed.

"Nawa oo"

He quickly beckoned on another driver who explained that a large vehicle fell on the road and was taking an eternity to be towed away. He had also complained of the barricade the soldiers had placed as their checkpoint further delayed vehicles that happened to squeeze by.