Chapter 9: A Budding Romance

Jordan stood in the elevator, reading the news on the tiny screen by the buttons. He adjusted the watch on his wrist and stepped out once he'd reached his floor.

The loud sounds from the TV could be heard from outside his apartment. Trust her to turn my whole appartment into her home theater, he thought to himself, shaking his head in amusement.

As he unlocked the door and walked in, his sister had just taken a handful of popcorn and stuffed her face with it.

"Having fun?" he asked removing his shoes and dropping his keys in it's designated spot in a bowl by the door.

"Oh my god I'm having a blast!" she said, after looking like she'd just been caught red-handed while trying to commit a murder. He could barely understand what she's said, with her mouth full of popcorn.

He gave her a minute to work through that as he grabbed a glass of water and took a seat next to her.

"Sorry," she said, half way through her 'chew-the-popcorn' fest. "I'm like, so relaxed right now, you have no idea. I should come here every month to maintain my sanity."

"Uh-huh", he chuckled.

"What? Try having 2 kids running behind you all day. I can't even pee in peace these days because they want to be in there with me. I can't wait for them to be old enough for school. Like, I'd do anything just to have an hour of silence," she rambled, plopping up her feet on the coffee table and attacking popcorn again.

"No, I totally understand," he started, grabbing some popcorn from the bowl placed on her stomach, "which is why you're having another one, right?" He teased, rubbing her very pregnant belly, feeling his 3rd niece in the making.

He loved reunions with his sister and her family. Her husband, Kevin, had become one of his best friends and he absolutely adored his nieces. In fact, he felt like he was already in love with the little one yet to be born. He couldn't wait to have 3 little girls running around, but it appeared that his sister, Angela, and Kevin had enough work cut out for them.

"How are Kevin, Emma and Ellie?" He asked, following her lead and resting his feet on the table as well.

"Yeah. They are good." Like always, she had a little sparkle in her eyes speaking about her growing family. "Ever since Kevin got promoted, he hasn't been able to be around that much but lord knows he tries. He makes sure to check in with the girls everyday and play with them over the weekend. I just feel like I need a little help around the house during the day though. It tends to get chaotic, you know?"

"I can imagine. It definitely must get hectic. Let me know if there is anything I can do," Jordan said, frowning. He hated seeing her worked up, especially in this condition.

"Oh yes," she said sarcastically. "Why don't you clean up my sink that's up in Vermont, while you're sitting here in New York."

He laughed out loud. "Trust me, if I could do that, I'd be in a different business."

"Speaking of, how's the new job?" She asked.

"Yeah, I mean. It's good." He smiled.

"Oooh. I sense that there is more to this story." She turned to face him, "what's got you smiling like that?"

"Nothing really," he struggled for words. "Kinda went out with this girl from work. It was fun. I guess, that's what I'm thinking of."

"Jordan! Don't down play this. When was the last time you told me about a girl? It's always me after your life, asking you to go out there and date. What's her name?"

"Her name's Rebecca. And no need to make it sound like I'm a 30 year old virgin that's never dated." He joked. "Not that there is anything wrong with that."