Chapter 3: Heat of the Moment

Author's Note:

Hi all! Thanks for all your support on the story so far. Here's a picture of Noah! Let me know what you think. Also, don't forget to vote and comment because it really supports me!

________________________________

Rebecca fixed her tangled earrings before sweeping a finger around the corners of her mouth to wipe off excess lipstick. She took one last look at herself in the mirror before grabbing her bag from where she had placed it on the sink and headed out of the bathroom.

Noah had texted her earlier that day asking if she wanted to join his after-work happy hour that evening. Her initial thought was to turn down the invitation. It was Thursday and she just wanted to go straight home from work. But she'd promised herself to be more outgoing and break-free of her boring routine. So she agreed to it.

The bar she was going to was a short walk away from her workplace, which she was thankful for. Since she didn't go out much during the week, she decided to make the most out of it and wore a navy blue sheath dress that hugged her body in all the right places. She paired the dress with a pair of black swede pumps. She had to admit that the shoes weren't the most practical choice, given the cold weather, but she decided to wear them regardless because she knew she wasn't going to be spending too much time outside. The long, black winter coat she wore on top would keep her warm.

She walked into the bar just after 7pm, and immediately started scanning the crowd for Noah's familiar face.

He sat at the bar chatting with Joanna, a 1st year associate who'd just joined the company, when his eyes fell on Rebecca. He doesn't remember a time in his life when another person had made him completely forget what he was saying, but in that moment, she took his breath (and words) away.

She hadn't spotted him yet, but even when not sure where she was going, Rebecca stood tall and proud, confidence radiating off of her. He'd always liked that about her. There was nothing more attractive to him than a woman who had an aura of assertiveness.

He caught himself as soon as he had that thought. Not that I'm attracted to her, he thought, just as Rebecca caught his eye.

She smiled widely and started making her way to where he sat at the bar.

"Noah?" Joanna asked, grabbing his attention.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry." He looked at her apologetically. He wasn't about to tell her that his friend of 10 years had just shaken something inside him. Instead, he changed the topic and introduced Rebecca to her when she'd reached them.

"Nice to meet you," Rebecca said, smiling and shaking Joanna's hand, who shook her hand back but didn't seem too happy about Rebecca interrupting her chat with Noah.

"Likewise," Joanna responded, throwing a fake smile her way.

Rebecca internally rolled her eyes and walked over to the empty bar stool by Noah's other side.

"How was work?" he asked, turning to face her, watching her as she placed her bag on the bar before shrugging out of her coat and placing it around the backrest of the stool.

"Same old. It's picking up pace as we approach year-end. What about you?" She responded, taking a seat.

"I bagged a major client today. I swear they are going to be the next big thing in the Tech industry. They want me to represent and advise them on patent infringements." He said proudly.

"Of course they do. You're nothing short of amazing!" Joanna said with an enthusiastic smile as she placed a hand on Noah's shoulder.

"Thanks," he said, throwing her a wink.