Chapter XIV

I know that the most recent chapters have had this note on them, but here it is again: READER DISCRETION ADVISED. I'm not offended if you get uncomfortable and need to stop reading. I love you all and I want you to be okay.

~~~

The food that Marcus served them wasn't note-worthy, as Chase told you. It was simple, but it had a bunch of nutrients in it. When Adam woke up, he told Chase everything that had happened. They slept on the hard carpet restlessly, anticipating their next task. Neither of them wanted to acknowledge what was to come. They knew what Rocky and Marcus wanted: their bionics. Beyond that, they didn't know.

"They wanted you both dead," you told Chase, filling in that bubble for him. He nodded.

"If we had known that... if I had known that..." Chase shook his head. You stroked his hand comfortingly.

When they woke, they didn't say anything. Breakfast was given to them, but it was even less than what they had been given the night before. There was nothing that they needed to get ready for, so when they finished breakfast, they just anxiously paced. Suddenly, the monitors switched on, the image of Chase's trampoline-of-death gone. Both Marcus and Rocky appeared on the image.

"Good work, boys," said Rocky, applauding slowly. "But it all comes down to this."

The door that had been closed cracked open, sending a single strip of light that landed on Adam into the room.

"There are a number of scenarios that can happen when you both walk through that door," Marcus continued. "And we don't know which will, just as much as you don't. But, if you don't trust that level of uncertainty, you can always give up your bionics and go home."

Adam shook his head before they could speak with each other. "Never going to happen, Marcus. As long as there is good in the world, you will never win."

Marcus simply shrugged in response. "Suit yourself."

The monitors switched to static, and Chase faced Adam. Adam looked back at him, his back to the door as it opened more. The light that cast on the back of him gave illuminated him like he was an angel. The lines on his face made him look much older than he was. He wasn't the Adam that Chase grew up with. He was a responsible Adam. The guy who knew how to love, and loved passionately. He was no longer a boy. He was a man.

"Ready to end this?" Adam inquired, looking at his brother.

Instead of responding, Chase simply gathered his brother in his arms, holding him tightly. They had no clue what would happen, but they swore to fight. They swore that they'd give it their all, even if it meant their lives.

"If I had known that Adam would be hurt so badly," Chase said, "I would have held him tighter. Hell, I- I would have given up our bionics."

You shook your head, fighting the tears that threatened to spring from your eyes. "They would have killed you both swiftly. You did what you thought was right."

Chase nodded, biting back his own tears. He continued his retelling.

They entered the room. It was large and bright, and Rocky and Marcus stood on the other side of it. The floor was smooth, most likely tile, and the walls were padded. There was no way that they had any hidden weapons.

"Welcome, boys," said Rocky as the door closed behind them. Adam and Chase didn't even look back at it. "There is no trick. It's down to just us. You two against us two."

"This is an unfair battle," Adam said, projecting his voice over to Rocky and Marcus. "Rocky isn't bionic."

Rocky smirked before throwing his hands out, lasers shooting out of his palms. Adam ducked as they hit the wall behind him, burning holes into the padding. "That's where you're wrong, Adam. I studied your bionics ever since I discovered that (Y/n) was bionic. Why do you think I stayed with such a whiny brat for so long." He heightened his voice to mock yours, "'Oh, I'm so damaged from my ex-boyfriend', 'No sex, I just want cuddles!'" He laughed mockingly and brought his voice down to regular level. "The only reason things lasted between us was because she had powers that I wanted."