Strength

You were absolutely alluring. The way your hair was swept up, showing off the angle of your neck. The glittering jewelry adorning wrists and ears. The tiara on your head gleaming in the sunlight streaming from the window. You looked as ethereal as the power you wielded.

Untouchable. Powerful. Desirable.

Had the circumstances been different, Moonbyul would have gloated to be the one who had caught your eye. All the things that had occurred moments before on this exact table had to remain a secret. Not many soldiers would rally behind the not quite virgin queen.

Moonbyul noted the fresh color on your lips. Pink, plump, and pouty. If she did not know better, she would have assumed it was from a new rouge.

Well, at least she knew.

You sat regal upon your throne, one hand holding the scepter that contained your power. The other pulling fruits from a tray for a mid afternoon snack.

Moonbyul, nailing the act of your faithful guard stood on your right, just behind your chair to observe the meeting with your advisors. To anyone else she was fulfilling her role. Protecting the most important dignitary in the room. But to a more perceptive mind they would wonder why was a rising star in the royal guard at the queen's side and not coordinating the people in it? Moonbyul asked for these shifts and was proud to do them for they gained her access to one thing.

You let the scepter slide into her hands as you pointed out something on the map. Not noticing the rush of magic that flowed from your scepter to her.

It was all too much. How trusting you were of your self-appointed military advisor. How willing you were to fall under her charms. How ignorant you were of the transfer of power that was happening literally before your eyes.

Moonbyul's eyes began to strain, as they always did from the influx of pure energy into her body. It took years of training that the both of you had underwent together to be able to wield the scepter. The strength required would have easily knocked a nobody unconscious.

The advisors around the table nervously looked at each other, no one wanting to say how long you had left your power source to another. Done with your notes, your fingers found your scepter again.

The loss of energy sapped Moonbyul. Had she been anyone but herself she might have swooned. Instead she flexed her fingers into a fist, missing the strength it gave her.

Which is what had set her on this treasonous path. You stood, and everyone bowed. Moonbyul's eyes trained on your exiting form signaling the adjournment of the meeting.

The power would be hers.