Moon Flower

Byulyi stood with the other hopefuls. Fifteen and full of excitement for the knight trials. The bright sun reminding her of her sunny hometown. Perhaps it foretold good fortune for her today.

Byulyi fought valiantly with a sword and showed her expertise in horseback riding. Others fell to her sword or were inexperienced riders and were disqualified. Their numbers dwindled and she felt pride in being one of the few to last through the trials.

There was a early dinner banquet to be held and the royal family was said to be in attendance to congratulate those that would begin their training.

Byulyi sat with the other recruits, scarfing down food. The day had been exhausting, she was glad to refuel. Especially with such delicious food. Fit for the King's table.

When they had eaten their fill the roar of voices grew quiet as the hall doors opened. Everyone scrambled to their feet as the King walked in. Byulyi nearly smacked her head on the table with how quickly she bowed. She ignored the snickers from the other recruits.

The king stomped his way to the middle of the room. "Rise so I can see my future military."
Byulyi rose from her bow first, locking eyes with the King. The others joined her, inspired by her boldness. The King nodded approvingly of them. "These next years of training will be difficult. But soon you will join the ranks of the truly skilled. You might even be initiated into the royal guard." To serve the king so closely was the greatest honor, the step before being allowed to captain the guard progress to a general in his army. The guard was only sent into conflicts when the King, himself, joined them. That was where Byulyi desired to be.

"Your kingdom, my family and I," Byulyi glanced toward the doors. The princess walked in, unsteady in the heeled shoes she must be wearing. She toddled in, gripping tightly to the arm of her father who patted her hand in a comforting way. If Byulyi remembered correctly she was still too young to be married. Byulyi felt pity for her, she would likely be married for an alliance, unable to fully form her own decisions.

At least Byulyi was taking her life in her hands. "-for your bravery." The hall erupted in applause as he finished his speech. He approached the recruits table. Her fellow recruits shifted next to her. Byulyi puffed her chest and hardened her spine, nerves would do her no good.

"A word of advice to those joining my service. Acquaint yourselves with the people here. They have the connections and guidance you will need as you train in this career. Familiarize yourself with my court as they will likely be your future employers."

"Even the princess, Your Highness?" Byulyi interjected. Earning a few quickly muffled laughs at her side.

"What is your name recruit? You carry the symbol of the moon flower." The princess was giving Byulyi wide eyes, astonished she had even been noticed. Byulyi flashed her a tentative smile, liking the way she hid from her gaze in the shoulder of her father.

"Moon Byulyi. Born in the first year of His Majesty's rein." Byulyi answered, her hands clasped behind her back, standing at attention. Of course she noticed the princess eyeing her. Completely interested to see where this was going.

"A name from astronomy?" He nodded to himself turning to leave. Byulyi's back was patted harshly, some superior reprimanding her for being loose with her tongue. The princess still stood, waiting for a chance to speak.

"I look forward to seeing what becomes of you." She said, voice soft and a bit hesitant. Byulyi thought it was cute.

"Isn't that rather forward, Princess?" Byulyi replied, tilting her head in question. This would be a good connection indeed.

"How indelicate of me." She smiled, hiding her expression with her fan. "Goodbye, recruit of Moon Flower ."

Moonbyul woke from the dream, heart pounding as she jerked awake.
Why would she dream about the first time you met?

The gauzy curtains were pulled open, you were sitting at your vanity, combing your hair. When you heard her stir you smiled at her, Moonbyul's heart faltered. She was constantly reminding herself of her goal. She cleared her throat inquiring the time.

"No one's noticed you are not in your apartments, if that's what you are asking."
Mooonbyul scoffed, rolling her eyes. You giggled, continuing in a teasing tone,"You said my name while you slept. Were you dreaming of me?"

Moonbyul cleared her throat, playing the role of embarrassment remarkably well. If she could mislead you then maybe you would drop it.

You stood, walking to the bed, leaning against the post. "It wasn't about intimacy. You called me princess. Was it about the first time we met?"

Clever, clever girl. She could not underestimate you.
"Yes, when I knew I had to have you." You accepted her hand, liking how she kissed every knuckle on it. She could keep you fooled a little while longer, squandering her guilt to analyze later. She couldn't afford to make a mistake.