Chapter 4

*Devin's pov*

It was getting late out. And cold. I couldn't help but allow the shiver to run down my spine.

"Room for two?" I heard a voice ask. I crane my neck a bit, and my gaze met Carl's. I scooted over a bit. This tower wasn't small, it just felt like the inviting thing to do. I felt his presence as he sat down beside me, but I kept my eyes out on the open field, Whatching the walkers stumble past our well built gates.

"It's funny" i started.

"What is?" He asked.

"How these walls and gates were once meant to keep someone in. Now we use them to keep someone out" i sighed. I adjusted my feet a bit, not allowing them to fall asleep. We stayed quiet for a moment. It was nice. All you could hear was the beautiful sound of crickets and the odd moan from a walker.

"What's your story?" He asked, the curious seeping in his voice. I turned my head to him, just to see he was already staring at me.

"My story? " I asked. He nodded.

"Before this" he suggested. I guess a bit can't hurt.

"My uncle and dad. They found me after my mother died. I spent some time with them and a few others. Thwn this happened. The end" i shrugged.

"That's it?" He asked. I nodded. That's as far as I'll go. "You know what's intresting? " He asked, and I raised an eyebrow. This conversation does not seem to be headed the right way.

"What?" I asked.

"Your tattoo. You have one like Daryl " he pointed to my neck. I touch the soft skin of where my tattoo is.

"So?" I asked.

"You said it was a family thing" he added.

"It is to me. Dad and Daryl. They've know each other for a long time. There like family" i lied. He didn't seem convinced.

"i like you. I really do, but your hiding something" he said. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not hiding anything " i, once again, lied. The hairs on my legs stood up as another cool breeze ran over us.

"You are. We can't trust each other until we know each other" he shoot back. I stood onto my feet.

"I guess we don't trust each other" i said and walked quickly down the high steps. I don't have time to deal with a girl problem. Yes, I'm referring to carl as a female. He acts like it most of the time. I'm just protecting him from the truth. That's all I want to do. He has enough to worry about, he doesn't need a possessed walker on his mind. That sounds stupid. My dad was right.