umbrellas

umbrellas

The slightly damp newspaper crinkled delicately in her hands, desperate as to not rip a page. Anxious eyes flutter across the words, sinking in the ink splotches from the rain. The wavering banner of the Daily Prophet clear as day. A cough to gain her attention draws her eyes to the customer on the other side of the bench. Books held delicately in gloved palms with an animal skin coat mottled on the shoulders from the rain.

A polite smile slips onto her glossy lips as she greets her customer. A hand discreetly slipping away the moving-image newspaper. If the muggle had looked hard enough instead of a silent glance, she would have noticed the slithering pictures. If she hadn't blinked within the seconds it took the shop owner to turn and greet her customer the muggle would have noticed the shimmer of eye colour change before her.

Only if the muggle had looked closer at her surroundings would she have noticed the odd few ornaments or paintings displayed around the shop. Maybe even the few oddly labelled books beneath the classics of Little Women and Moby Dick. Though the muggles never noticed. Never once had they confronted the shop keeper about their odd findings of books nor the peculiar little chess pieces used in the display behind the counter. The exchange was quick and sweet, though the women didn't know why she had the urge to stay longer.

Almost like she desired to remain in the shop for the rest of eternity if she could greet the owner with a sweet smile. Maybe even a gloveless handshake. The women smiled at the shop keeper with an almost dazed look in her face. As if in a dream. The books touched her fingertips and she looked down in shock as if she'd forgotten why she was standing there. Despite this odd euphoric feeling she displayed, the shop owner merely smiled with politeness. As if unphased by this woman's newfound interest in her bookshop.

"Libby, darling?" a masculine voice called through the little shop, appearing from behind some books. A look of relief upon seeing the woman he named Libby, "We've got to go remember? Olivia's recital."

The tall man tapped his watch as if to encourage urgency towards her. The shopkeeper watched with her remaining polite smile giving the woman a nod. The rain had splattered drops onto his hat and darkened spots of his light blue suit. His dark eyes wondering from his wife to the shopkeeper.

"Lovely to meet you, " the woman said suddenly shooting out a hand towards her, "I shall definitely return to your lovely little quaint shop. Maybe when you can join me for tea?"

"Lovely to meet you as well, " though she was conscious that neither woman knew the others name, though grabbed the woman's gloved hand respectfully, "You may return anytime though I'm always busy so I can't guarantee any tea or lunch of the sort."

"Oh but-"

"You'll be late for your daughter's recital, " she quickly interrupted her with the same mesmerising polite smile as she immediately familiar with this situation, "I bet she'll be wonderful."

"Yes, yes...Olivia's recital..." the woman said as if falling from her trance as she looked away with confusion as if trying to remember. Suddenly a look of urgency appeared on her face and finishing the exchange with cash the two left in a hurry. Both glancing back with the uncertainty of what kept them so long within the shop.

The bell dinged loudly throughout the silent shop as they disappeared into the raining street. Umbrella's blocked the sidewalks as the people moved. Now she was left inside her shop with no customers. A resounding clapping of hands made her jump out of her skin as she spun around to face the stairs hidden behind mounds of books. Balancing treacherously against the banister.