Chapter 2: Taking a Bullet

Two years ago

Wally's POV

I'm bored. Never have I ever been so bored. Never have I ever been-

Recognized: Batman 02 Robin B01

Finally! Something to do! I sped off of the couch to face Batman along with my best friend. Meanwhile, Miss Martian, Aqualad, Superboy, and Artemis walked in and stood beside me.

"Do we have a mission?" I all but shouted.

Batman glared causing me to shrink into myself. Then he spoke. "You will all be assisting the JLA in terminating a trade between Lex Luthor and the League of Assassins."

I'm vibrating with so much excitement. We get to help out mentors and the League on an actual mission. For once it might be nice to skip the trying to be covert part.

"Wally!"

I look over at my best friend who was displaying an amused smirk. "Stop vibrating, your nose is bleeding."

My face turned red as I rushed to get a tissue. Artemis and Robin laughing in my wake.

---

The deal was set to go down at an abandoned warehouse in Gotham. Of course it's Gotham. Typical.

There were twenty armed guards outside and dozens of trained assassins inside. What could go wrong?

---

The gunmen were taken down easily. These assassins, however, were a different story.

Each Leaguer and Team member were all fighting the assassins. Uncle Barry and I were running at top speed until we both stopped in our tracks. Meta dampeners. Yay!

Without my speed taking down anyone was harder. Moving slower than I'm used to makes life a little bit more complicated for us speedsters. I was so focused on blocking strikes from my opponents katana that I didn't realize the now conscious gunman now approaching me from behind.

Dick's POV

I watched in horror as the barrel of a gun lined up with Wally's heart.

I was out of batarangs. My staff was broken. Wally was too far away. The gun was too far away. Everyone else was occupied.

Only one option.

Bang.

Wally's POV

The sound of the gunshot took everyone by surprise, including the man trying to kebab me. I used his small slip to kick him into a wall, effectively knocking him out.I spun toward the shot only for my eyes to widen in horror.

Standing a few yards in front of me was my best friend. A red blemish growing on his uniform, dangerously close to his heart. Along with a matching stream of blood flowing from his mouth.

I felt a surge of lightning inside of me. Someone had broken the dampeners.

I sped over as the broken bird was about to fall. His lean body collapsed onto me as I slowly lowered us both to the ground. I laid his head on my lap. He took a shaking hand and gently touched the side of my face. His eyes were covered, but I could see them draining of life.

His skin paled and I could feel tears sliding down my face. I can't lose him. I won't.

I leaned into his touch only to feel his hand go limp.

"Robin!" I cried desperately." ROBIN!"

My own cries drowned out the footsteps of the gunman who was coming up behind me. Without warning, a firearm was bludgeoned into my head.

The last I saw of my best friend was him lying on the ground pale, cold, and lifeless.

Because of me.