prologue

“ You don't deserve to be here. ”

“ You're just smart and a goody two shoes. ”

“ Teacher's pet. ”

“ Reading fantasy novels? What a nerd. ”

I know that all they were saying were based on jealousy. Well that was what my mother told me but for them to reach this level. For them to actually burn our house...kill my family. Unforgivable.

The most unforgivable about this situation is the fact that I don't have the power to fight them. I maybe academically smart but so what? I only have that. I don't have any other talent that I can be proud of. I'm a worthless daughter.

That was why I should just end everything.

“ Y-yuna... let's talk this out okay? No n-need to ahhk– ”

The gleaming knife and the flickering lights. Her blonde locks grasped by my hand. Strangely I don't feel any guilt whatsoever. I can see her looking at my bloodied hands and clothes and the mangled bodies behind me.

“ Don't worry...after this I'll join you guys. ” I smiled at her to reassure her but this only made her face contort to anger.

“ Bitch what did we do wrong to you?! Yes we bullied you but so what! We only told you of the tru– ”

She started trembling again as I gripped her chin hard. Her eyes focusing on the knife I pointed closely to her mouth.

“ I don't think you need a tongue Miura-chan. ”

She shook her head fast and her eyes seemed to beg for forgiveness. How stupid. After all the bravado she said...

“ Your legs are gone now..we should cut your tongue too. Next how about your hands? Then I'll burn myself with you guys. That way we'll all feel how my mother felt burning alive. Aren't you curious? How it feels to be burnt? ”

I should feel guilty...but I didn't.

As she lay there unconscious I breathed out. The adrenaline seemed to be gone now as I feel very tired. But everything is not yet over. I still have to burn everything. I held the gasoline with trembling hands.

“ I must be scared of dying huh. ”

How pathetic.

Are you really going to burn them? ”

Dropping the gasoline I gripped the knife and pointed it towards the direction of the voice. I couldn't see them clearly as the lights were flickering more than they did earlier.

Step step

The air feels so heavy with just two steps of this person as I saw how my hands trembled in a pathetic fashion.

All this...just to summon me. It's been years since a human has been able to do so. ”

Even the voice of this person...seemed distorted. As if they don't have a voice at all.

“ Don't you want to start a new? A new life with your still complete family? I can give you all of that...if you just gift me all these souls. ”

“ I don't need a new family. I don't need a new life. ”

“ Hmmm then what about power? Or perhaps a new world? Isn't that what you always wished for? I can't believe you're using your family's death as an excuse to murder...when you in fact wished to summon me.

I flinched but my trembling stopped. I smirked in response. The summoning circle beneath our feet glowed an eerie red and there I saw them. Ugly deformed creature bearing one eye with yellowed fangs blown wide in a grin.

“ You caught me, demon.

That was the day I abandoned the last remaining straw I had with humanity.