09

"Carter, sh!" Cash put a finger to his lips and I copied his actions while giggling. "Is your mom home?" He whispered as we walked out the elevator.

"She's on a date," I slurred as Cash steady me, guiding us to the apartment door.

"Alright then, let's get you to bed," Cash opened the apartment door- which was left unlocked by me. "Carter, it's never safe to leave your door unlocked!" Cash scolded me.

"Sorry," I mumbled. I followed Cash into the apartment and watched him grab a frying pan from one of the cabinets. He saw my questioning look and sighed.

"There could be an intruder in here!" He whisper-yelled. I smacked me forehead, which then resulted in a quickly formed headache. Stumbling down the hall to my room, Cash cut in front of me. He then proceeded to kick my door open with his foot.

"Was that really necessary?" I asked, walking over and laying on my bed. Cash didn't answer as he walked over to my closet and threw a pair of cotton shorts and a large t shirt at me.

"I gotta get going before your mom comes home so, can you please get changed?" Cash asked, turning around and closing his eyes. I slipped my jeans off and pulled the shorts over my body.

"Can we get back together?" I ask, pulling off the tank top I had on and replacing it with the t shirt Cash picked out.

"Not when you're in this state," Cash responded, scuffing the bottom of his shoe on the ground.

"I'm not in any state, I'm perfectly fine," I say as I proceed to slip on my jeans and fall into Cash. He holds a firm grip on my arm and leads me back to my bed.

"Mhm," is all Cash says, watching as I slip under the covers. He leans down and presses a feathery kiss to my forehead.

"Goodnight, Cash," I whisper as he heads for my bedroom door.

"Night, Carter."

---

I woke up the next morning with a worse headache than I had expected. I grabbed two Advil and popped them in my mouth, washing them down with water.

"Morning, darling," my mom's cheery voice caused me to flinch.

"Why are you so peppy? You're never peppy," I bluntly ask. My mom grabs the pot of coffee, pouring some into a mug.

"It's the Lord's day," she says, a smile plastered on her wrinkly face.

"So?" I knew we were Cristian but we rarely even went to church.

"Carter, can't I just be happy?"

"I guess," I mumbled back, opening my phone and checking my messages.

Cash: Boardwalk?

Carter: pick me up in ten

Cash: Hours?

Carter: no, days actually

Cash: I'll be there

"Cas- Cailee's picking me up. We're going over her house," I almost slip up.

"You've been hanging out with Cailee a lot recently," my mom takes a sip of her black coffee.

"You've been hanging out with your mystery man a lot lately."

"Dont get sassy with me," my mom scoffs but I see a tint of red form on her cheeks. I practically skip down the hall and into my room. I decide on jean shorts, a black tank top paired with a yellow flannel. The flannel is actually Cash's. How fitting.

Precisely six minutes later there's a knock on the door. I open it and see Cash's smiling face staring down at me. I push him into the hallway and follow, shutting the door behind me.

"You're early," I say as we walk to the elevator.

"I couldn't wait to see you," Cash sheepishly admits. "That flannel looks familiar," his eyebrows furrow as I push the elevator button.

"Don't know what you're talking about," I cross my arms and Cash mimics my actions.

"So," Cash startes as we get into his car. "Why'd you want to leave the party so early?"

"Josh made me angry," I shrug my shoulders.

"How so?"

"He brought up my dad and I don't know, he just gets under my skin," I practically pout, staring out the window as we pass a blur of trees.

"Yeah, he does that sometimes."

"Brings up your dad?"

"No, Carter," Cash places his hand on my thigh but it's gone as soon as it comes, placing both his hands back on the wheel. "He knows how to make people angry. He did it to me a lot when we were together."

"Did you go back to Josh's after you," I felt embarrassed saying the next part. "You know, put me to bed?" Cash laughs and shakes his head.

"No, I went home."

"Did I ruin it for you?" I pick at my nails and Cash turns into the beach parking lot. Cash shakes his head again, putting the car in park.

"Parties are just more fun when someone you actually like is there," Cash shrugged.

"You like me?" I teased and Cash rolled his eyes, opening the car door.

"Don't make this weird," Cash said as I got out of the car. We walked to the boardwalk and took a look at some of the games that were clearly impossible to win.

"Is this weird?" I asked, gesturing between Cash and myself. Cash asked what I meant and I licked my lips before continuing. "I don't know, whatever's going on between us!" I exclaimed louder than I should have.

"What is going on between us?" Cash asked, smirking.

"You're killing me over here," I gave Cash the death stare and he held his hands up in defense.

"Alright, alright! Well, Carter, you already know I want to be with you again."

"How much do you want to be with me again?" I teased. My mind drifted off to the dare from the previous night.

"Very much," Cash's face was inching towards mine and our breathing became uneven.

"Then you've got me," I whispered just loud enough for Cash to hear. Cash's eyes widened and I giggled.

"Are you serious?"

"One hundred percent."

"I really don't know what to say," Cash was clearly taken back by my words.

"Shut up and kiss me, you idiot," I said, a smile forming on my lips. Cash ducked his head down and brushed his lips against mine before pulling away, as if he was testing my reaction.

When I didn't pull away his lips came to mine once again but this time, they didn't pull away.

---

sjdksja idk how to feel about this chapter but whatever

also

TY FOR 100 READS ILY