Chapter Five

When we got to the station, my sister and I were taken into a waiting room. Joanne looked around the room nervously. I could tell she didn’t understand. 

“I don’t know what’s going on either, Joanne. We’ll both just have to wait and find out.”

She was on my lap and she buried her face underneath my chin. I held her close, and together, we waited and waited.

I was about to fall asleep, but the door to the waiting room opened before my eyes could close. A policeofficer entered.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

He just sort of stared at me for a minute, and then sighed. I knew this couldn’t be good.

“Ms. Robinson, your mother…” he paused there.

“What?!” I nearly screamed.

“She’s being held without bail.”

“Why? For drugs?” I said.

“Yes.”

“And my stepdad?” 

“He was caught about half a mile away from your house. Your mother told us about his drug addiction and he’s awaiting arraignment, which means he will be formally charged for drug possession.”

“So…what’s going to happen to us?” I choked out. 

“You and your sister will be sent to a temporary shelter. You will be assigned a case worker there who will decide what’s going to happen to you two.”

I stood up, but then nearly fell against the wall. Shaking my head, I looked at Joanne and sighed.

“Could I have a minute alone, please?” I asked.

“Yes,” the officer said.

“Thank you.”

Once Joanne and I were alone, she looked at me again, and for the first time in awhile, I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know how to phrase this so she could understand.

“We’re being sent away,” I said. Joanne raised an eyebrow. “Mom can’t take care of us anymore, so we’re being sent somewhere safe.”

I didn’t know if I was lying to Joanne yet. I didn’t know if this temporary shelter would be safe. I could only hope.

I had heard so many horror stories about foster and group homes and whatnot, and I was scared. What if this shelter led me to one of those? What happened if Joanne and I got separated? I couldn’t even imagine that. But it was a possibility, and even if I didn't want to admit it.

Joanne and I were immediately moved to a temporary shelter about ten minutes away from the police station. I held my sister close to me in the back of the police car as she whimpered softly the entire way.

It was late when we arrived at the shelter. A woman came out to greet us. 

“This is Maryanne Marcus. She’s the director here.” The officer that brought Joanne and I over here said.

“Hi, I’m Maryanne.” She had what sounded like a Texas accent, and she seemed nice enough.

She stuck out her hand, but I didn’t shake it. I wanted to think that this was all a bad dream, and I would wake up from it soon. But it wasn’t. This was real. 

When I didn’t respond to Maryanne, the officer sighed. Then he introduced Joanne and me.

“This is Kayla, and her little sister, Joanne.”

“Hi, Kayla,” Maryanne said softly. “Hi, Joanne.” Joanne hugged me tighter and I gladly backed away from Maryanne.

“They’ve both had a long day,” the officer said to her.

“I’m sorry,” Maryanne murmured. “It’s late, but tomorrow we’ll have someone take you over to your home to gather up your belongings.”

So many mixed emotions swarmed through my head. I had been fighting to keep myself in my house, to never get taken away from it, but now that was the one place I never wanted to go back to. 

“Should we go inside?” the officer asked. 

“Yes. Come on in.”

Maryanne led Joanne and me inside the huge building.

We walked through a waiting area, and then into the main part of the building. We passed a giant cafeteria, and then turned the corner and ended up in a long hallway. 

“Now, I’m sorry to do this, but we have to take your sister to another part of the shelter. It’s a special part for toddlers.” Maryanne said sympathetically.

This I was expecting, but Joanne wasn’t. She protested when another woman, who I guessed worked with the toddlers, tried to take Joanne away. She cried and screamed, and it almost broke my heart.

Maryanne stood next to me, and then I felt her eyes observing my face. I looked away, afraid that I might cry.

“She’s going to be fine, Kayla. I promise.” Maryanne said softly, putting an arm around me. 

“I know.”

“So, you do talk?” Maryanne asked. I laughed once softly. “Let me show to your room.”

We walked all the way down the hallway and stopped at the last door on the left. But before we entered, Maryanne stopped me.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, Kayla. It’s just…your roommate is mute.”

“Okay.”

“Her name’s Collie Faraday.”

“She doesn’t talk at all?”

“I haven’t heard her say one word in the three years she’s been here,” Maryanne said.

“Wow,” I commented.

We entered, and Collie was sitting on her bed. Her head hanging low, and her eyes on the floor.

“Collie?” Maryanne said gently. Collie didn’t look up. “This is your new roommate, Kayla.”

“Hi, Collie,” I greeted cautiously. Shee raised her head and I saw her face for the first time. 

She was pretty, but she also looked somewhat gothic. She had black lipstick and too much eye makeup. Collie smiled at me, though, and I knew she couldn’t be too bad.

“For now, it’s time for bed. Breakfast will be served at eight, so just keep your door open and someone will come down the hall at seven-thirty and wake all of you guys up.” Maryanne said.

“Thank you,” I answered softly.

She then left Collie and I alone. I sat down on the other bed in the room, and then sighed. Collie went back to gazing at the floor, but to my surprise, she started humming. I didn’t recognize the tune, and then I wondered if Collie Faraday was really mute. 

I just stared at her, but she wasn’t paying attention to me. I knew she wanted to be left alone, just like I did. So, I laid my head on my pillow and closed my eyes and let myself fall asleep.