Chapter ①

Hi! I actually wrote the four first parts back in November and only decided to publish them now, so enjoy I guess?

AVERY'S POV

"Moommm! I'm homeee!"

"I'm in the kitchen, honey"

"I don't want the summer vacations to end. School is wayyy too tirering"

"I know, sweetie, but it's really important" she sighs "you don't even need to do superior studies. Just finish highschool"

"Mom, I know it's important, it's just that it's so boring. Most people over there are pretty stupid. One guy in my math class had to use his calculator for 6 times 3."

"You're on popcorn duty?"

"You know it 'ma"

WAIT! Hold on. Recap. Okay. My name is Avery Martin and I'm 16. I live alone with my mom, Josephine Martin. She's 39, so she had me at 23. I don't know  my father, and don't have a single information about him, except that he's  Italian. That's literally all I know.

When I used to ask questions about him, my mom would burst into tears, so after a while, I stopped asking questions about him.

My mom and I are pretty close. I consider her my best friend. Lame, I know, but I don't care. We tell each other everything, and we have girls night every Friday. That's actually today. Tonight we're watching clueless, classic, but never gets old. Anyway, back to business.

I prepare the popcorn and install the movie while mom went to the store around the corner to get some ice cream. Like, a ton.

I'm actually not a bad student. I'm in fact a straight A student. I'm not very social because we move a lot. Like a lot. More or less once a year. It's for her job, I think, but also because we want to see the world, so why not start with our own country? We lived in New York, Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles and many more. We've been moving for as long as I can remember.

We have no living relatives, well, that I know of. I knew my grandmother, mom's mom a bit, but she passed away when I was 7. It's now just my mom and I. Us against the world.

I was scrolling through social medias when I saw the time. My mom has been to the store for an hour. I literally takes 5 minutes normally. Damn, where is she? I try to call her but the only answer I get is her voicemail. That's a first. Usually she always answers. That's really strange. I can't help but worry. I've got a very bad feeling. I hope she's okay.

My eyes get heavy and start to close by themselves. I'll just rest my eyes a bit.

Josephine (her mom)'s pov

We should move soon. They are getting to us. I'm glad they somehow don't know about Avery. That would be pretty bad.

I made her take karate, taekwondo, kickboxing, basic fighting and judo classes when she was young. To prepare her if something happened, which I wouldn't be surprised of, considering who her father is.

I just want the best for her. I want her to follows her dreams. She's so smart, strong and beautiful. She looks a lot like him. I made her take Italian, French, Spanish, German, Mandarin, Russian and Portuguese classes because she was so smart. She's really something. I'm proud of her.

I'm in the ice cream section. I feel observed, but I shrug it of. Probably a worker or some random kid. Or a judgy Karen. God I hate those. Once, when Av was in elementary, i did the terrible mistake to sign up for the PTA. Worst mistake of my life. Karens everywhere   Fights about dumb things. God, a nightmare.