Chapter 3: The First Night

I span around in my chair in the dark, staring up at the light above me. I noticed a flashing green light on the desk phone. There was a message.

“Hello, hello? Uh, I wanted to leave a message for you to help you get started on your first night.” The girl on the answering machine said. “Um, I actually worked in that office before you. I'm finishing up my last week now, as a matter of fact. So, I know it can be a bit…, how do you say…, um overwhelming?, but I'm here to tell you there's nothing to worry about!” She assured. Uh, you'll do fine. So, let's just focus on getting you through your first week. Alright?”

“Uh, let's see, first there's an introductory greeting from the company that I'm supposed to read. Uh, it's kind of a legal thing, you know. Um, "Welcome to Wattpad’s book fair, a magical reading experience for kids and grown-ups alike, where fantasy and fun come to life. Wattpad’s Entertainment is not responsible for damage to property or person. Upon discovering that damage or death has occurred, a missing person report will be filed within 90 days, or as soon property and premises have been thoroughly cleaned and bleached, and the carpets have been replaced."

“What!?” I thought. “Death!?, missing person report!? This has to be a prank…” I muttered.

“Blah blah blah, now that might sound pretty bad, I know, but there's really nothing to worry about!” She said cheerily. “Uh, the animatronic characters here do get a bit quirky at night, but do I blame them? No. If I were forced to read those same stupid books for twenty years and I never got a bath? I'd probably be a bit irritable at night too. So, remember, these characters hold a special place in the hearts of children and we need to show them a little respect, right? Okay.”

“Quirky..?” I asked myself.

“So, just be aware, the characters do tend to wander a bit. Uh, they're left in some kind of free roaming mode at night. Uh...Something about their servos locking up if they get turned off for too long. Uh, they used to be allowed to walk around during the day too. But then there was ‘The grab of '2006.’ Yeah. I-It's amazing that the human body can survive so long without oxygen, you know?”

“Grab of 2006..?” I thought. “Was that what happened to Mango..?” I wondered.

“Uh, now concerning your safety, the only real risk to you as a night watchman here, if any, is the fact that these characters, uh, if they happen to see you after hours probably won't recognize you as a person. They'll p-most likely see you as a metal endoskeleton without its costume on. Now since that's against the rules here at Wattpad’s book fair, they'll probably try to...forcefully stuff you inside a Emma suit. Um, now, that wouldn't be so bad if the suits themselves weren't filled with crossbeams, wires, and animatronic devices, especially around the facial area. So, you could imagine how having your head forcefully pressed inside one of those could cause a bit of discomfort...and death. Uh, the only parts of you that would likely see the light of day again would be your eyeballs and teeth when they pop out the front of the mask, heh.”

“W-What the hell kind of a sick joke is this..?” I muttered, shaking.

“Y-Yeah, they don't tell you these things when you sign up. But hey, first day should be a breeze. I'll chat with you tomorrow. Uh, check those cameras, and remember to close the doors only if absolutely necessary. If there’s anything you need you can call me at 1-(323)-453- 6538 the names Kyla if you’re looking for me. Gotta conserve power. Alright, good night.”

I wrote down the phone number and put the piece of paper in my pocket.

I started checking the cameras.

“Nice try guys…” I muttered, “But I’m not falling fo-“ My jaw dropped. One of the animatronics was missing. Nyan wasn’t in her book section where she always was. I started to panic and flipped through all the cameras until I found her. She was just down the hall way leading to the room I was in, one right turn and the door on the left and she’d be here! I started checking the other animatronics whom were still, thankfully, in their places.  I checked on Nyan again who was now right behind the door frame. I punched the button to close the door with such force that I fell to the ground and it slammed in Nyan’s face as she popped her head into the room.

I was breathing heavily. “What… The… Hell…” I muttered shaking and rocking back and forth on the ground. Then I remembered about the cameras, the power, and worst of all the animatronics…

I got up off the floor and turned on the hall light outside my door. Nyan was still right outside the door peering in at me. It sent chills down my spine. I loved Nyan, she was one of my favorite animatronics, but seeing her out there just peering in at me, it was terrifying. None of the animatronics had moved yet. I looked at the clock. 4:56AM. “Not too much longer…” I muttered to myself. 34% battery reaming. I was sure it had been at 40% just a few minutes ago! I turned on the hall light again and Nyan was gone. I checked the cameras again to see Nyan was now over by the back shed outside where the extra animatronic parts were held. “How’d she get over there so fast..?” I wondered. I pushed the door button to open it once again. I hesitantly stuck my head out and looked both ways, checking to make sure no secret hidden animatronic was lurking in the hall way.

I turned off unnecessary cameras and only had the ones pointing at the animatronics on. I was nervous and scared. I felt like I was being watched at all moments. 5:55AM. I watched as Nyan, the only animatronic whom dared to come into the building I was in, walked back to her book section. Cutie, whom had moved ever so slightly to the concession stand, moved back to her section as well. Emma and Mango hadn’t moved at all, which was good. 6:00Am.

I grabbed my bag and ran out the door I rushed towards the gates of the park to see Ms. Bush grinning happily. “Good morning!” She greeted happily. “What the hell kind of sick job is this!?” I shouted. “Oh whatever do you mean?” She asked trying to play the ‘innocent’ role. “You know what the hell I mean! The animatronics! They’re deadly! Nyan nearly snuck up on me! I could have died!” I shouted at her tears in my eyes. “Well, if you don’t want to come back tomorrow I understand.” She said sadly. “You can sure as hell count on it! Good luck trying to find a replacement worker for this demon job!” I shouted headed for the gate. “Aren’t you the least curious on how, and more importantly why they do what they do?” She asked. I turned around confused. Now that I thought about it those animatronics were my only friends in my childhood and now I know that they may be killers..? “Well, will you tell me..?” I asked. She smiled. “I don’t even know.” She smirked. “If you want answers you’d have to go to Kyla, you know, the girl who left you the message? She’s worked as a night guard much much longer than anyone else ever has, she know the most about the animatronics.” She said a glint in her eyes. She started walking away into the park. “If you change your mind about the job be sure to give me a call!” She said cheerily walking away. I shook my head and started walking home.

<<@>>

Once I got home I flopped down on my bed thoughts of the animatronics roamed through my head. This was impossible. How was this legal? Was it even? Why did they even need a night guard if the animatronics themselves could protect the fair? What was ‘the grab of 2006’? Have the animatronics ever killed anyone..? All these thoughts and more ran through my head over and over. I wondered how Kyla had survived all those nights at Wattpad. I wondered how long she had worked there. I wondered if I should call her. I pulled the piece of paper with her phone number on it out of my pocket and fiddled around with it in my hands.

“I’ll call her later, when I get my thoughts straight.” I muttered out loud. I rolled onto my side and fell asleep. I had nightmares about animatronics chasing me, about Nyan popping up outside my door, and worst of all I had nightmares of what might happen once of the animatronics caught me. 

==========================================================

Woah that was hard to write... I hope you all enjoyed! Please leave feed back on what you think so far and what you thinks gonna happen next! I hope you all have a awesome day or night! Whatever it is in your time zone! x3 Luv you long time. Thanks for reading!

-Broccoli