Chapter 4: Happy-Home Stability Center

When I woke up it was 2:17pm. I was still pretty shaken up by the previous night. I got out of bed and changed out of my work closes and into my normal light blue t-shirt and black jeans. I walked out of my room and down the hallway. I heard my 9 year old sister Lizzy in the kitchen. I walked in on her stealing the last piece of pumpkin pie our mom had baked. “Hey!” I shouted. She jumped back in surprise nearly dropping the pie. “Uh… It’s not what i-it looks like..?” She stuttered. “Just give me a damn bite and no one has to know that any of this happened, okay?” I joked and grabbed to forks from the drawer. We laughed and split the slice of pie. I acted like nothing happened the other night even though it was all that was on my mind. We finished eating and I grabbed my dark blue jacket and walked out the door.

I pulled out my phone, along with the scrap of paper with Kyla’s phone number. I dialed the number and called.

“Hello? Happy-home stability center! This is Cherry (@ThePixelGalaxy)! How may I help you?” A cheery voice said. “Uh…” I mumbled. “I-I’m looking for Kyla… I must have the wrong number…” She laughed. “What’s her last name?” She asked. “I’m sorry I don’t know…” I mumbled awkwardly. Cherry giggled. “You’re lucky Kyla’s not the most common of names!” She joked. “Kyla Saki, I believe!” She said. “Uh… Is there any way I could speak with her..?” I asked. “Well, you’d have to make an appointment.” She said. “When’s the soonest I can make an appointment?” I asked not really sure of myself. “Any time you want!  She’s not busy at all this week!” She said in a bubbly tone. “I just need to know a little bit about you, alrighty?” She asked. “Okay, what do you need to know?” I asked. “Well, first of all what’s your name and what’s association with Ms. Saki?” I sighed. “My names Matt- or a Matilin Lacey… And I’m Kyla’s co-worker..?” I said a bit wobbly. “Okay, there’s no Matilin Lacey on her association list… so you’ll only have about thirty minutes with Ms. Saki, alright?” She asked. “Okay, um… Where’s your location at..?” I asked. She told me the address and I made my way home, got into my car and drove to ‘Happy-home stability center’ which to what I knew about it was basically the town’s crazy bin.

<<@>>

When I arrived at the stability center I walked through the door noticing ever little detail about the place. It was actually quite a nice setup; there was a shining chandelier, and two large staircase’s going up to a balcony above the front desk. To the right of me was a lounge like place with three couches in a square and an oak coffee table in the center of them. To the left of me was a door leading out to a nice looking patio area with picnic tables, and a large swimming pool lined with deck chairs.

I walked up to the front desk and sure enough the same cheery voice from the phone. “Welcome to Happy-Home stability center! How may I assist you?” Cherry asked with a giggle. Man this chick was overly happy… “Uh, I’m Matt; I just called in about seeing Kyla.” Her eye’s brightened up. “A visitor!” She exclaimed. “Welcome! Let me show you around the place! We can start out by the pool and then make our way to the third floor where the-!” I sighed, a bit too loudly, cutting her off. I blushed. “I’m really sorry but I’m in a hurry…” I lied. “I really need to see Kyla.” I said still embarrass for cutting Cherry off. “Oh…” She looked disappointed. I felt a bit guilty. I was being pretty rude but I had every right to be! I almost died to an animatronic last night! Then again, she had nothing to that and she was being so nice and helpful to me. I sighed. “Well, maybe you could show me the way to Kyla’s room?” I asked Cherry. Her eye’s brightened up again. “Alrighty! Let’s go!” She said and we started up the first flight of stairs.

Cherry skipped along down the hall way of the second floor, as we walked patients walked around in white robes, some with nurses or care takers. Some patients stared at me wide eyed as if they’ve never seen another person before, one patient got so freaked out by me they dropped to the floor and curled into a ball. I felt uncomfortable being watched by all these people, I just wanted to get out of here, but I had to see Kyla. She was the only person who might be able to explain why I was attacked last night. Cherry stopped in front of a door. “Here we are second floor, room 207!” She exclaimed happily. “Thank you, Cherry.” I said. She started to skip back down the hall way but I had to stop her. “Wait! Um, Cherry?” I asked. She turned around. “Yes?” She said bouncing back towards me. “Why are you so happy?” I asked a bit awkwardly. She giggled. “Well, this is my very first job on my very first day!” She kept bouncing in place. “I love it here! Everyone’s so nice and I’ll make my parents proud for finally getting a job! I’ll prove to them that I’m not just a good-for-nothing like they always said I was!” She said proudly. “May I ask how old you are?” I asked a bit stunned. “I’m thirteen!” She bounced a bit higher to make herself look taller. “Wow, that’s impressive.” I said still shocked. “Is there anything else you need?” She asked. I shook my head. “Nope that’s all. Thanks Cherry.” I said. “My pleasure! Remember, only thirty minutes!” I nodded and she skipped off.