CHAPTER SIX

"So you couldn't do anything?" Katherine questions as I read through some papers, sipping Damon's bourbon

"Nothing. I'm telling you, the beast was huge. There's no way we could have fought it ourselves." Steve explains.

"So you used fireworks as your weapon?" Katherine laughs, "You shot a big ass monster with fireworks?"

"It was actually working, that is until we ran out-" Steve starts.

"Can you please stop talking about it, I don't want to think about that thing right now." I snap.

"Yeah, sorry." Katherine clears her throat, "Welp, I'm gonna go pack my bag, going on a road trip today."

Katherine makes her way upstairs as I set the cup down, "Hey, Steve, I found this weird article that was in the research you did, it's about some witch in New Orleans."

Steve slides onto the couch next to me, peering down at the page, "Oh, yeah, apparently a 'Harvest Witch' was in some kind of weird sacrifice for the coven, but someone ambushed it and killed almost all of the witches, except for one. Davina Claire. They say she holds the power of three other witches. Cool, right? The witches have been trying to find her to complete the ritual, but no such luck."

Just then the phone in the living room rings, and I announce to the house that I will answer it. I sprint over to the wall, picking it up, "Hello, Salvatore residence."

"Emmie?" I hear a bright voice ask.

"Dustin?" I question, smiling as I look to Steve who's eyes were wide with excitement.

"Yeah, it's me. Mom wanted me to call, and I missed you so I decided not to be mad anymore." Dustin explains, "How's it going in Mystic Falls? You and Steve fall in love yet?"

I scoff, "Ew, Dustin. No. How's school going so far? I know it's probably weird without Will being there with you guys."

"Yeah, it really is. But it's going alright, I'm pretty positive that the party is like the coolest group in school." Dustin boasts.

"Oh, I'm sure," I giggle, "Tell Max, Lucas, and Mike I said hi and I love them, and I love you, Dust!"

"I love you too, Em," Dustin replies, "Can I talk to Steve?"

"Mhm, hold on." I motion for Steve to take the phone and he does, leaning against the wall as he speaks to my cousin.

Elena comes down with a small book, her bags, and a huge ass ring; Stefan's ring. She sets them on the table as she orders Steve to tell Dustin she says hi.

"So I found nine bars along route 29." Damon tells Lena as he walks into the room with a bag and paper in his hand, "And none of them are called Joe's."

"I had a feeling there was something wrong all summer and I ignored it," Elena sighs as Steve puts the phone on the receiver, "But I was right. Stefan was in a safe."