20. Battleground

Gregor shook his head; the explosions were still rattling his ears as he grabbed another man by the shirt and flipped them onto their backs.

"It's like the whole damn town's gone insane!" Bond yelled. "Was this part of the plan?"

"It was exactly as planned." Ace pulled his blade back from another body as he stepped back, the trio found themselves backed up against a wall as another wave approached. "However, I admit. For us, this has gone better before."

"Before? What do you mean? We've never fought alongside you." Gregor spat, wrestling a man against the floor.

"In another reality, we cleared a path to the girl and the Hangman slayed the beast." Ace pressed his hand to his forehead and exhaled sharply. "But this? This is just... Annoying." He proceeded to throw a grenade down beneath the legs of the crowd and watched. Seconds later an explosion blasted the street and cleared the path. Without another word, Ace ran down the now cleared path and kicked out at anyone who dared step close.

"How come he gets all the toys?"

Bond shrugged in response, following through the path.

A figure emerged from thin air, landing clean on his feet after materialising briefly off the ground. His hand stroked the floor as if to survey the landscape before opening his eyes however the scene was not what he expected.

"What on earth is going on here?" Bleach shook his head, struggling to believe the carnage that was taking place before him. The often-serene park with prize winning flowers was a battleground – fires, brawls and bodies lining the flowerbeds as heroes rallied together to stop the impending chaos. "I definitely got the right time line... I know I did." He sat down on a bench in confusion – had he overshot the arrival? Was he far too late? His thoughts were interrupted by a man running past, Bleach glanced up and recognised him instantly. His skin crawled and blood boiled. "You."

"Do I know you?" Anton stopped in his tracks, turning with a perplexed expression before smirking. "Ah, the blue haired brat. Terribly sorry, I truly can't stop. Need to take that maid of ours to the cleaners." He turned and found Bleach now stood in front of him.

"You're not going anywhere." Bleach trembled with pure anger, he had no weapons, no chance, but he threw himself towards Anton regardless. Anton sighed and threw his hand back, ice spouting from the floor and trapping Bleach in his place. Anton disappeared before Hangman arrived.

"Which way did he go?" Hangman spoke with a dry, uninterested tone. "I assume he got away."

"North."

"Very good... He's heading for their safe house." Hangman glanced down at him before delivering a swift kick to the ice, shattering it. "You need to get us there."

"You know I can't. I'm not like Ace." His words shook Hangman with anger. Enraged, he grabbed him by the collar before restraining his body against a wall with a blade pressed to his neck.

"If you value your life and Lady. You will do anything."

"John? You ok? What's wrong? You're meant to be restraining her!" The second guard spoke up with concern, rushing to the side of his colleague who was itching his arms.

"It's just a minor reaction Gerard. I'll need a few minutes." The guard grunted in response. "But when I'm back on my feet she'll regret it."

"Hei." Emmett glanced over at Hei with a knowing look. "Run."

"I don't think that bitch is going anywhere." Duchess smiled, the second guard grappled Hei, one hand restraining her to his chest with the other clamped around her mouth. His muscular build came with a vice grip, Hei found herself locked in a futile struggle. "Don't nullify her senses this time..."

"We are not staying here for another second!" Emmett shouted, now full of rage. "Let go of her! Now!"

"Oooh! Getting a little arrogant, now are we?" Duchess let out a giggle before pinning Emmett to the wall with ease – his anger did not affect how easily flustered he was. "I like that, shows you have passion... Though you're focusing it all wrong."

"What?"

"Don't play dumb with me." She ran her fingers down his cheek, tracing his jawline. "Call me 'your lady' again..."

"What on earth are you implying? That I like you?" He turned away, cheeks a slight tint of red. "I was being respectful at most." His words cut into her like a blade.

"You mean to say you don't like me? After helping me get better?" She stepped back, bottom lip trembling slightly.

"No! No, it's not that I dislike you. It's just, you've been caught up in some fantasy that you have fallen for me because I did my job."

"Is it that you like her instead?!"

"That's a preposterous assumption! I was doing my job like I was told!"

"It's no mere assumption!" She turned her back on him, patting the steel pipe against her palm. "I saw how you were getting along..."

"Of course." Emmett looked down, avoiding her gaze. "Your gift to see through walls. Quite useful, yet you are unable to hear through them." The guard pressed Hei down on her knees and restrained her arms behind her back. "Look... Let her go."

"Aren't you meant to be a professional? Surely it's wrong to get emotionally involved with your patients..." She tapped the end of the pipe against the base of Hei's neck and tilted her to look up. "You're awfully quiet there my girl... Nothing to say?"