(5.10) Kid time!

"Thanks so much for doing this," Saishuu's eldest sister, Shiroi, said to him, grabbing her jacket off the back of a chair and checking her pockets to make sure she had everything she needed. "It's been forever since Yasashi and I had a date night, so it's really great of you to watch the boys for us. You're like a superhero right now. I'm not exaggerating."

"What're little brothers for if not to babysit your kids so you can go fuck your husband who's too old for you?" Saishuu responded, smiling.

"Hey, we've been over this." She fixed him with a practiced glare. "Me and Yasashi are both fully grown adults who can make our own decisions. You and the rest of the brats can stop giving us grief about it any time now."

Shiroi's husband was ten years and ten months older than her, which had concerned the rest of the Yukki family when they first found out. Her siblings started to call him 'cradle-robber' pretty much as soon as they found out the two of them were together. Even after finding out that Yasashi was perhaps the most gentle, kind-hearted man any of them knew, the joke continued—because siblings are terrible and no one knows that better than they do—but it held no bite anymore. It was hard not to love Yasashi, even if he was an old, old, old, old man. 

"And watch that mouth of yours around the kids," Shiroi reminded him. "I don't want to come home to a houseful of foul-mouthed delinquents."

"I promise I will be the only foul-mouthed delinquent in the house when you come home," Saishuu said. "Kei and Hiro will be out robbing the liquor store by then."

"Very funny," she said flatly.

"Cradle-robber's waiting for you out in the car. You'd better get going."

"Right," she made her way to the front door, but was still giving him orders as he pushed her out. "Make sure they eat, and don't let them have any sweets before dinner, and I do not mean give them sweets for dinner. I can hear you plotting in your head. Their bedtime is no later than nine, and if they say they're not tired make them do jumping jacks until they are. That's what their dad does, and it's the only thing that works. Make sure they don't destroy the house—and definitely don't destroy the house for them." Saishuu closed the door behind her and the last thing her heard her say was to shout, "Do you hear me‽" through the door.

Shiroi had two sons, Saishuu's nephews, and they were named Kei and Hiro, and were ages five and three respectively. Both had inherited the trademark dark green Yukki hair from their mother despite technically being Yamauchis like their father. Kei also got his bright green eyes from his mother's side of the family, though they had skipped Shiroi. Other than the hair, Hiro took after his father in every way, from his dark, olive skin to his coal black eyes to the mole by his right ear in exactly the same spot as his father's. Currently, they were in their shared bedroom, Kei supposedly working on a picture diary for his kindergarten, and Hiro playing with toys. Saishuu didn't really expect that to be what was actually going on when he went into their room to check on them.

He switched from sibling mode to uncle mode as he walked down the hallway. Sibling mode was a persona that only twelve people got to see: his siblings and his parents, but since sibling mode was so very different from his other personas, like school mode, and friend mode, those twelve people had a vastly different idea of who he was than everyone else did.

They still thought he was a smug and sarcastic delinquent with a short fuse, even though he really hadn't been since middle school. That had been a pretty crappy time in his life. He'd been a real asshole in middle school, but then, he figured most middle schoolers were assholes.

Uncle mode was slightly more authoritative. It had to be, because he was pretty sure his nephews were possessed by demons. He could swear he smelled sulfur as he opened the boys' room. It didn't really matter to him if it was in his head or not, because Kei had given Hiro his crayons, and there was brightly colored wax all over the pale grey walls of their bedroom. Saishuu was in for a long night.