|CHAPTER THREE| Who are You?

“Is there a number we can call for your parents?” Michael Wheeler asked the girl. 

“Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?” Dustin Henderson asked. 

“I don’t think that’s a valuable question to this interrogation right now, Henderson.” I commented. 

“Did you run away?” Lucas Sinclair asked. 

“Are you in some kind of trouble?” asked Mike. 

“Is that blood?” Lucas pointed to her shirt. 

Mike smacked Lucas. “Stop it! You're freaking her out!” 

“She's freaking me out!” Lucas exclaimed. 

“I bet she's deaf.” Dustin smacked his hands together and the girl flinched. “Not deaf.” 

“All right, that's enough, all right? She's just scared and cold.” Mike went to a basket and got out a change of clothes before handing them to her. “Here, these are clean. Okay?” 

The girl took the clothes in her hands, placed them beside her, and started to take off her long shirt. “No, no, no!” the boys exclaimed as I stopped her.

Don’t do that, please. She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face. But her eyes told a different story. She knew what I was. Or rather, she knew what I could do. 

“Oh, my God. Oh, my God.” Dustin said. 

I looked at Mike and mouthed bathroom to him. He nodded and pointed to a door. See over there? Th-th-that's the bathroom. Privacy. Get it?” 

Mike followed after the girl to the bathroom while I stayed with the two other boys. “So, you’re Will’s neighbor right?” asked Dustin. 

I sent him a puzzling look. “And that is important right now because….?” 

“Well, if you’re going to help us find our friend, we want to know more about you.” Lucas told me. “And we want to know more about the girl that Will ditches us to hang out with.” 

“He doesn’t ditch you guys. You have a different lunch than him.” I told them. 

“That was last year, [Y/N]. We all share the same lunch now.” Dustin told me. 

“What are you three talking about?” Mike asked. 

I jumped and put out the karate hands. “Don’t sneak up on me like that.” 

“Will did say she was jumpy.” Dustin commented. 

“I’m not jumpy. I just… startle easily.” I explained. 

“I think that’s the definition of jumpy, [Y/N].” Mike commented. 

“Anyway, this is mental.” Dustin said, trying to change the subject back onto the girl. 

“At least she can talk.” Mike told them. 

“She said ‘no’ and ‘yes.’ Your three-year-old sister says more.” Lucas told him. 

I’m confused. When did she say yes and no? Perhaps in the bathroom. But when did Mike tell Lucas and Dustin about that. 

“She tried to get naked.” Dustin told him. 

“There's something seriously wrong with her. Like, wrong in the head.” Lucas told them. 

“She’s just scared. She’s probably a runaway.” Like Tia and Tony and me before we found Uncle Bene and came here. “Wouldn’t you be acting weird if you’ve had to survive on your own? Running away from your nightmares?”