Choices and Chances

Imogen

My mind was occupied with so many thoughts and emotions over-analyzing the situation I was in. This never would have crossed my mind; my freshman year crush had tried to kiss me. Just remembering when his eyes slid down to my lips made my breath hitch. My body begged for sleep, but my mind was keeping me awake. Two nights ago, I was able to sleep peacefully, not having to worry about my soulmates.

I kept spamming Frankie's phone, but she must have been asleep. She explained that she had to help her father with his campaign. Meaning, I was basically left alone in this. Hopefully, she would have some quality time for me, I missed her.

I was starting to understand why people were usually with their soulmates. It was like I already knew Lucas without getting to know him. Our conversations were as easy as putting on a shoe. Not only could we talk for hours, but we can have an argument without yelling at each other. Which would help in the long run if we continue and start dating.

Drew had always been my crush, and I had been wishing for the day he would say those magic words. Now that it happened, I was left feeling conflicted about who I liked. I needed to figure out who I wanted to be with at the moment and go for it. My body heat was rising, producing sweat under the covers from all the stress.

------------

Two weeks later.

This morning, I woke up, stretching my legs off my bed and onto the floor. My arms raised up as I gazed at the ceiling. The sun was shining brightly through my light blue curtains. I got up and went straight to the bathroom that was connected to my room. I rushed to start my morning routine since time was ticking.

I went downstairs to make myself some eggs before I had to leave. I quickly shoved the food in my mouth, inhaling them without really enjoying it. I grabbed my bag, keys, and went on my way.

The leaves were starting to turn a beautiful red, orange, and yellow. The magnificent trees, which stood tall and proud, were already losing their leaves, scattering them all over the floor. I looked down at my wrist to still see Drew's name darker than Lucas'. Yesterday, both of their names were the same shade of black, but today, Lucas's was slightly faded. I reached the school and glided in quickly, trying to avoid bumping into anyone. I looked up to meet those beautiful blue eyes.

"Hey, Lucas." I felt my lips form a shy smile.

Our shoulders touched as we strolled down the hallway together. "This might be a little soon, but I wanted to know if you would go on a date with me?" I could see his light skin turned red, and I couldn't help to do the same.

Lately, I'd been spending most of my evenings with Lucas. With Frankie gone at the moment, I had an enormous chunk of time to myself. At first, Lucas and I would run into each other before leaving, and he would invite me for a study session. Eventually, it became a natural routine to always spend our afternoons together.

"Ah, sure. I would love that." I smiled, biting my lip.

His lips curled into a smile. "Good. After school?" he asked, giving himself a pat on his back.

"Sure." He bent down to kiss my cheek, causing my hands to sweat.

We said goodbye and went in different directions. From the corner of my eye, I noticed Drew standing by his locker. I saw him slam his locker and walk towards me. His face looked stiff, not showing his usual radiant glow.

"So, what was that about?" he asked, following me to my locker.

"Not that I have to tell you, but I'm going to go on a date with Lucas," I answered, quickly punching in my combination.