Meeting Family

Imogen

For some reason, I expected to wake up on Christmas morning with my mother waiting for me by the tree. Then it dawned on me that she wasn't here with us anymore. When I reached down the stairs, our plain tree had one simple gift. Rebel wasn't able to afford a gigantic tree without skipping out on groceries. I'm always used to having an enormous one, but I didn't want to complain about it. I had no motivation to decorate it, leaving Rebel to place a star on top.  

There was a note on the gift from Rebel. "Sorry to leave you alone. I got called into work this morning. I hope you like it. Love you!" 

The worst feeling is spending a holiday alone with no one. Still, I had to be grateful for the blessings in my life. I opened the gift to find an adorable denim jacket under the Christmas wrapping paper. Wrapping paper was over the floor before I opened mine. An empty box sat under the tree. He must have opened my gift. I used my monthly allowance to purchase a fresh pair of black combat boots because those were his favorite. 

------------

My favorite gift was a necklace in the shape of a heart that read "Forever." I haven't taken it off since he put it around my neck on Christmas eve. My life almost feels like a romantic movie once you get past all the people attacking me left and right. I got him a ring inscribed with "I" and a heart around it. 

Also, I brought a couple of blouses to help with his fashion game. Drew got me a bracelet that said "my princess. I put it on so I wouldn't make Drew feel lousy, but I don't wear it when I'm hanging out with Lucas. He also made me feel guilty for buying me an expensive gift while I brought him a gift card.

Frankie has been M.I.A lately, barley responding to my messages. She was acting unusually; she never went this long without responding to me. Usually, she would text me if something came up, but now nothing. I have sent many messages which read delivered but still nothing. I even had to restore to send a message to Drew asking if he knew where Frankie was. 

Chosen one. 

Those words kept running through my brain when my eyes shut. Apparently Rebel or I could be a chosen one. Chosen one for what, though? What is expected from the chosen one? Are we supposed to save the world or something? Honestly, what should I expect? My life these days has been unpredictable. 

"Imogen, your report card is here!!" Rebel yelled.

The sudden urge to throw up appeared as I walked downstairs to open the letter. Lately, I haven't been keeping up with my grades, which meant they have dropped. There hasn't been a week since my mother died that I went to school for a full week. That's bound to affect my school grades.

"You got to be kidding me," I groaned, crushing the paper and threw it in the garage.

"Did you fail?" He asked, pouring himself a bowl of cereal.

"I failed mostly every class," I sighed, pushing my hair back. "I just haven't bothered to study with everything going on," I pouted, regretting my decision to sleep instead of studying.

"You better get those grades up." Rebel pointed at me with his spoon. 

I'm so embarrassed. How did I manage to date one of the sharpest boys in school but still manage to fail? He always came over to study with me, but I always suggested to start watching films. He missed a suitable amount of the year, but he's always on top of everything. If only his organization rubbed off on me. My thoughts got interrupted when I heard a knock on the door.  

"I got it," I told Rebel, who was enjoying his bowl of cereal on the island countertop. 

"Hey," I said, batting my eyelashes.