Jasper Part 4

He led me to a room, the walls were lined with books from all dates, some kept in good condition and then some were old and damaged. 

When we entered, the books instantly caught my attention, although I felt bad for leaving the cold grip of his hand, I started to scan the books with an amazed smile, almost forgetting the feelings from earlier. 

When I looked back to Jasper, I noticed he closed the glass door and watched me with his arms cross, leaning against the wall. 

The display case went to the floor from the ceiling and covered the whole wall, with a few books stacked on the floor or on a desk. I sat down where I was and studied the covers with struggle, the light in the room wasn't all too great and I couldn't really make out any of the titles. 

I ran my hand across the soft carpet and let out a breath I hadn't noticed I was holding, Jasper joined me on the floor, sitting cross-legged next to me, he seemed to be thinking of something else and stared at the old books. 

"It's a shame it's too dark to read what they are" I touched a certain book bound in an old linen wrap. 

"They aren't much you'd be interested in, just old stories" Jasper watched me as I looked back at him. 

In this dim light, he is still beautiful, his pale skin is glowing in the dark, his facial structure exaggerated with the shadows. I found myself staring with soft eyes. I'm glad it's dark, seeing as I can barely see, he would have just as much trouble with vision as me. 

"Y/N" it had been a while since I'd heard my name from him, his voice was soft and focused. 

I hummed in response, I felt unusually comfortable with him, like we'd been friends forever and I had no worries at all. It was in the back of my mind that this wasn't like me. Like my emotions were being pushed down and relaxed by something else. 

I just couldn't explain by what, or why. 

"Why did you move to Forks? if you don't mind my asking"

The question caught me off guard but I felt obliged to answer him,  "It was my mothers choice, she found work up here and we moved straight away" 

He didn't seem quite satisfied with my answer, he placed his hands on his knees and continued to ask. 

"Is that the only reason?" 

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and looked to the floor, Jasper seemed to watch my emotion in great detail. 

"My Father passed recently, I'm guessing mom wanted to get away from it all" I sighed, "we left a lot of things behind"

"Now she mainly puts all her emotions into her work, she, uh... is a manager at some call center, I think... I'm not too sure" I let out a weak laugh, focusing on the carpet once again. 

"What did you leave behind?" I looked at him and he had his head tilted in curiosity, it kind of took me by surprise that he was actually interested in what I was saying.

"Um, like furniture, photos, stuff like that. But also my friends, I miss them"

He brought his hand to his chin and stroked it in thought, "I've seen you with Jessica, surely she must be a friend?" 

Jessica? was he watching me for that long? I don't feel creeped out but the situation sounds odd. 

I brought my hands together in my lap, resuming picking at my fingers from earlier in the night, "hmm, I don't know about her... she makes me feel, sort of unimportant compared to her, I don't know why but I've never been good at making friends so..."