Old Books And New Looks

Adriana

Today is Sunday, which means I'm working a full shift at the tattoo shop.

I get up at seven and shower, applying my usual eye makeup and but no red lipstick.

I dry my hair and let the natural waves fall down my back.

After looking through my closet I choose a tight black dress.

I pull on some black boots and grab my bag and coffee, making it to the bus stop just in time.

I get to work at eight-thirty, perfect timing.

Tommy is sitting at the counter as I enter, chatting with Jeanie.

She's this tall, skinny fairy girl who works weekends.

Her hair is styled to perfection in a pixie cut and is fire engine red.

They both smile at me and I greet them with a hello, putting my bag away and setting up my station.

I check my schedule and see it's pretty full.

I'm fairly popular amongst the clientele for my tattooing skills, and I've got appointments almost the entire day.

"So A," Jeanie starts.

I turn to face her, applying some chapstick and looking at her expectantly.

"You know my friend Chuck?" She asks, adjusting her v-neck so that her huge boobs are more visible.

I sigh and nod, I know where this is going. Jeanie is always trying to set me up.

"Well, when he brought me lunch the other day he was enchanted by you. What do you say, can I give him your number?" Jeanie asks.

"Okay, first of all Jeanie, you don't even have my number. Second of all, you know very well I don't date." I say, sponging the invisible dirt off of the already immaculate counter.

Just then a customer walks in, and after giving me a disapproving look Jeanie turns to help them.

The hours fly by and before I know it, it is time for my break.

I excuse myself from my station and step into the secluded alley behind the shop.

Shivering a bit, I pull a box of cigarettes out of my pocket and tap it against my palm, pulling one out and lighting it.

I take a drag of it and look at my watch. I still have ten minutes.

I put the box and lighter back in my pocket and walk down the alley with the cigarette between my fingers.

I take another drag as I step onto the main street, looking around and heading to my left, away from the shop.

A block down I find a quaint little book store. I put my cigarette out and head in.

Inside I find a full shelf of only Jane Austen (one of my favorite authors).

I happily buy a copy of Pride and Prejudice, and on my walk back to the shop I smoke another cigarette.

As I reenter the shop I pop a mint in my mouth.

I tuck behind the counter before anyone can see me and slip the book in my bag.

"A, your one o'clock is here." Tommy calls from the front, where there's a sitting area for customers.

"Coming!" I call, standing up and patting my dress down.

I walk to the front with my clipboard.

The sitting area is pretty full, and I stare at my terrible handwriting for a second before calling, "Adam?" Uncertainly.