Avoiding him(edited)

Do not be depressed; everything has been planned by Allah. Every stage will pass; remain strong and have faith. Allah does not postpone anything unless it is for the greater good.

AHLAM.

I stood there silently witnessing the close bond between siblings.  I said nothing at all for fear of being judged because even one word could have led to something I would have preferred to avoid. You see, I was strictly raised to avoid the opposite gender. Even while studying, I had my brother nearby to support and protect me. However, here, I knew I needed to handle myself and follow my parents' guidelines, so I kept my gaze low.

After an uncomfortable and brief silence, Hania led her brother out to join the others downstairs, but as I exited the room, I could not help but overhear Hania saying "it is nothing Aahil, she is only a little apprehensive because she will be facing our family and friends whom she has never met before, she will attend Insha'Allah."

As promised by Hania, I went to the party, and even though aunt Faiza had to tend to the guests at times, she constantly kept a watchful eye on me, making sure I was alright. God bless her.

  I turned to face everyone and observed them mingling while listening to their discussions about business or current events. A few were mocking, and regrettably, a few were even scheming. I felt a little left out because I did not have any friends, but I was also thinking, "So much gossiping." The men were handsomely dressed, and the women were very elegantly dressed.

I was experiencing the sensation that someone was observing me, you know? I cast a curious glance around, and as I was searching, I noticed the man who had earlier been staring at me. What made him stare at me? I managed to avoid talking to Hania's brother before the party started, and I was even relieved that he did not ask for my name or the reason I was sharing their house. We were complete opposites, so I reasoned that it would be best if we avoided each other. I quickly averted my gaze, but he seemed to be staring at me from everywhere. I was starting to feel so self-conscious—did he really not feel ashamed? I abruptly turned around and faced away from him. Ha! let him stare at my back.

"What's wrong my dear? you seem so lost? She smiled and said, "Come on, my husband is about to make an announcement. I nodded as she took hold of my right hand and escorted me forward into the crowd. I am relieved to be out of that person's direct stare.

Firoz uncle used his microphone to greet everyone politely. "As-Salamu-Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuh (May the Peace, Mercy & Blessings of Allah be upon you) ladies and gentlemen," they all replied. "Wa-Alaikum-Asalaam Wa-Rahmatu-Allah-Wa-Barakatuh" (and peace be upon you and Allah's Mercy and Blessings too).

First of all, on behalf of my son Aahil, who graduated with honors in engineering, I would like to thank everyone for coming to this welcome party, Masha'Allah.(God willed it) "He is finally come home to us after studying abroad in Dubai for six arduous years. Aahil? Would you mind joining me here?

At that exact moment, I sneakily looked up and wished I had not. Uncle Firoz was giving his son a rib-crushing hug, full of love and pride, when Aahil turned his head and cast a penetrating glance at me.

When I realized that I was staring at him intently too, I let out a loud grasp and quickly lowered my gaze in embarrassment, my heart quivering slightly as I did so. What and where are my wondering thoughts taking me?

Only when they were face to face did I realize how handsome his features were; he unquestionably bore an identical resemblance to uncle Firoz. He exuded confidence and had an air of authority as he stood there, tall and attractive like a model.