Chapter 9

Yup, Niall thought as he pushed his face deeper into Zayn’s warm neck, this is nothing but a very loving friendship. Which was very true, heartbreakingly true. And something else? Niall kept finding himself not happy. Sulking. Sad. Unable or unwilling to do something he would’ve happily done, with a smile on his face, in the past. Now he just couldn’t bring himself to do it, no matter how small the task. He could hardly walk, had to be strapped into crutches. His head hurt when someone was too loud or he sat up or sat down to fast. He had to have Zayn, Harry, or Lou change his bandages once every 3 hours. It was torture.

And he was still in the bloody hospital.

Right now he was sitting with his legs suspended over the side of his bed while Harry tried his best to cheer him up. “Nandos Niall? I promise the minute we touchdown in Mullingar, we’ll zip over there so fast your head will hurt.” Niall thought about how that was a low blow, cringing as Harry picked up on the bad word use. He stood up, grumbling.

“I’m going to get, Zayn, yeah?” Niall didn’t respond, but turned his back on Styles. Harry sighed and slinked from the room.

~…~ Zayn

I sat with my back against a wall; I was in one of those rounded conference rooms. Louis was beside me, his head lolling a bit and laying on my shoulder. Liam was sitting at the very edge of a plush office chair, eyes down cast. His face was all sunk in and sallow. I couldn’t find it in myself to feel sorry for him, especially when Harry stomped in, slamming the door behind him and began to pace. He walked so furiously I feared he might burn a hole in the carpet, or catch fire or something.  Finally, after running a hand through his unruly straight hair said, exasperated;

“This has got to stop, he’s so depressed,” In then rushing on, plowing ahead he said, “He wasn’t even excited when I mentioned Nandos.” My heart dropped into my shoes and I sighed bitterly. I opened my mouth to speak but someone beat me to it;

“He needs a therapist. Or a councilor, or something. He needs a private individual in which he can speak to.” My face was creased with a frown when I looked up, and found flaming hazel eyes staring into my own. “This has to happen. Things can’t go on like this.” I nodded in agreement.

In then I watched as Liam sunk back into his chest and Harry stormed out once again, back on Niall-comfort duty.

“Li,” I say, my voice soft, “He kissed me.” If Liam wasn’t paying attention he sure was now, his head snapped up so fast I worried it might flip off his shoulders.

“What? Why? When?” His voice was slow and thick with emotion.

“The other day. Kissed me in then cried because he didn’t feel what he felt when you kissed him,” I cleared my throat because it was getting tight with the feeling of oncoming tears, “And then you went and decked him right when he needed you most.” I almost couldn’t bring myself to say it, but struggling, I took a risk. “Liam, you’re going to need to solve this.”

“I love him too.” Liam’s response is so soft I have to strain to hear it. In then I sit back, my head thumping against the wall. Well, what the actual fuck is going on?

“Then you’re going to need to do something,” I said bluntly.

“Big?” He supplies.

“Ginormous.” I say, sort of scratching Lou’s head like he’s a scruffy dog.

“Huge.” He tosses in.

“A grandee finale,” He says, more to himself than me. “Something unforgettable.”

“Sweep him right off his feet.” I demand and smile. And almost cry when Liam smiles back.

~…~

Liam thought of a Beau Gesture.

And he thought.

And thought some more.

And picked up his phone when the thought hit him, “Hey yeah I need to rent-“