Running with the Wolves by MsBrew

Shine and I had so much fun Read & Chatting together that we decided to do it again

Shine and I had so much fun Read & Chatting together that we decided to do it again. She picked Running with the Wolves by MsBrew. I had seen this story on Wattpad a few times. The previous cover featured a well-built black man with shoulder-dusting locs.

I was immediately intrigued because while I love reading about different cultures—Korea-boo here and lately I've been drawn to Indian cultures—I LOVE seeing lead characters with skin like mine.

AND, the dark chocolate-skinned lead is a werewolf? Sold!!

We read all 68 chapters in about 4 or 5 weekdays. The story was gripping and had me washing dishes with my iPhone in my left hand. Yes, it's as unproductive as it sounds.

Oh, it's time for housekeeping.
Running with the Wolves contains Mature Content. It's a Fantasy read with werewolves, witches, and conniving rich folk. There's some soul crushing stuff in there too—tears.

No spoilers ahead. Just all the feelings that rose to the surface while I was reading.

We meet the 7-year old were-baby and he is every kind of adorable. Something awful happened right away and I spent the next few chapters with a scowl on my face.

BUT there were the cutest wolf pups who grew into some super cool brothers. They were my FAVORITE characters in the story. Their personalities poured through the pages and I had to stop myself from commenting on everything they said. Yeah, they talk. Sort of. You gotta read to understand.

The love story was hard for me to digest because I love to hate love triangles. I want to root for one person till the end. I couldn't. I switched teams a couple times, then joined Team-On-The-Fence instead. Intense chemistry for sure.

The most interesting thing about this story was how the author grounded us in our world—the one we see and feel everyday—then takes characters that feel like us and stretch the parameters of reality. I kept finding myself expecting wolves to behave like humans. Why would they? And expecting humans to respect wolves. Why would they?

Altogether, the ending was unexpected. There were some cool kill scenes. It was like reading an action movie. Speaking of which, this one, I would love to see in movie form. I am stunned by how MsBrew could conjure up such an amazing world and fill it with such vibrant characters. Plus, she didn't mind my incessant commenting, so I had to Follow her.

Flowers for the author 🌺🌺🌺 MsBrew

There is a sequel, Walking with the Vampire, and a third book in the Valley of the Immortals series. But I'm still soooooo hooked on the love triangle from Book 1 that I cherry-picked through book 2 to find answers to my burning questions. It sort of worked, but I need to read the full book 2, and probably book 3 to see how this one played out.

Except, I vowed to finish editing the last 10 parts of Suds before committing to another fun-read. Gotta work hard if you want to play hard. I'll knock out my workload and be back in the comments section of another love story soon. See you next time!!