Chapter 1-A day in the end of August/beginning September

"Luna, Maria è qui" my mamma said. (Luna, Maria is here)

Summer has officially and sadly ended and today was my first day of school in Miami. Even though summer has finished, the sun was still beating down on the ground and I knew today would be hot. I glance at myself in the mirror one more time, making sure that my outfit isn't too much and my baby hair isn't sticking out from the humidity. For today's outfit, I've gone with a white tank top, Adidas bottoms, black Jordan and a jeans jacket to top off the look. My curly hair is half up and down, with my baby hairs gelled and I'm wearing mine and Gabriella's bracelet and a necklace she got me that has a basketball on it. My face is bare of makeup, because I am not one of those "pretty girls" that walks round with layers of foundation and highlighter so bright it can blind you just as bad as the sun on its brightest days. Before I can even take one last look, I hear Maria's car honk and grab my bag and rush downstairs.

As I approach Maria's car, I find my mum talking to Maria, who is looking gorgeous with her box braids. They see me approaching and all give me big smiles, while my mum squeezes me to death while whispering, "I love you and have fun". I hop into Maria's car casually and I am about to open my mouth to say hello to my friend when she hugs me tightly and tells me how excited she is to have me in Miami. Funny enough though, the massive smile Maria has on her face changes into a smirk once she eyes my outfit choice and mutters,

"I see the sporty outfits have not changed, Luna".

I laugh to myself and look Maria dead in the eye saying, "When have they ever? "

Maria and I have known each other through our mothers. Maria's mum offered my mum a job and of course my mum agreed to start afresh from all the never-ending sorrow and grief we have lived. Maria knows about Gabriella, but everyone time she asks me if I'm okay, I change the subject as I didn't hear her.

After about 10 minutes of me and Maria catching up with everything that we missed in each other's lives, we approach the new high school that I would be starting. Many students are in the car park catching up with friends and laughing a lot, while my stomach does back flips and a swarm of butterflies flutter around it. Noticing my change in mood, Maria clutches my hand(and that's when I realise my palms are pouring with sweat), reassuring me everything would be fine. We hop out of the car and start walking to the office, while people there glance at me, clearly sensing that I'm not from around here. I continue walking with my head high, carelessly as we go into the office to collect my schedule. We find my locker, which is opposite Maria's and the bell rings, signalling everyone to go to class. Luckily Maria and I have class together, but all of the smiles and relief leaves once I see what I have first, Italian. The subject that I should love as it is my first language, but I dislike it. That subject brings me back to the amazing times I had in my home town, with the scorching summers and the delicious feasts at Christmas time. However it brings back memories that I can't let go of. One of them is that night Gabriella left me and never returned.

Italian wasn't as bad as I thought, considering I had a partner who was very good friends with Maria. Her name was Chloe and had ginger long wavy hair with sky blue eyes you could see from miles away. I was surprised that Chloe didn't have a line of boys queuing up for her, but it all clicked in when I noticed how reserved and shy she was. She was a dedicated student though and someone I would like to befriend.

The rest of the school day went by casually and we were finally at lunch. In Italy, we never eat in school so it was my first time seeing how American cafeterias were set up. Of course you had the popular children right in the middle of the cafeteria being the loudest and biggest attention seekers in the room. I was sitting a few tables away from them with Chloe and Maria who were both engrossed about clubs they were looking into joining and the events that will be taking place in this academic year, when Chloe snapped me out of my daydream by asking,

"What about you Luna? What clubs are you looking into?"

I replied with a shrug and, "I'm not really a person who does clubs".

Maria intervened saying there was a basketball club but quickly I shut her down with the look that means can we drop the subject and looked down at my salad. I felt bad for the way I acted as soon as she brought the topic up, because I could see she was only trying to help me but honestly there was no point.

Chloe said, "But Luna to get into college..."

I looked up at her and asked "What makes you think I'm going to College? I can't afford it and don't want any stress on my mum."

Maria and Chloe shared a look before Maria reached for my hand and said softly, "Luna playing basketball can get you a full scholarship like you have always wanted. Join the team and the scouts will definitely get you."

Trying not to lose my anger with either of Chloe and Maria, who didn't understand how much I planned to escape college and get a job. So I looked both of them in the eye and said, "Chloe and Maria, I will not join any clubs and I will definitely not be playing basketball for the school. I can't go to college and I won't, which I am fine about. Now if you would excuse me, I'm going to the bathroom and I will see you at the end of the day."

I got up from my seat and threw my rucksack over my shoulder, proceeding to walk out, but I stopped in my footsteps when I heard Maria mutter something so quietly so that Chloe wouldn't hear. I felt a ripple of emotion take over me when I comprehended Maria's words, which were:

"But you are disappointing El...Ella and breaking her promise."

I couldn't look Maria in the eye after hearing what she said, because I knew they would make me break down and one thing I have been taught is to never cry in front of others, because it makes me feel weak in front of them. The only exception was when I realised Gabriella was dead, but besides that I never cried. However what made me want to cry right now is hearing her say Gabriella's nickname that I haven't heard since she died. It triggers unwanted memories and I know for a fact it was hard for Maria to say because it came out as a stutter, as if it being a difficult, foreign word, which it is. No one has used "Ella" because all you see is her big smile lighting up her delicate face and her vibrant green eyes that would capture you and make it a challenge to leave the enchanting spell she has put on you.

With courage I look at Maria one more time and walk out keeping my head high, trying to push away all the emotions that are taking over me right now. The same emotions that have scared me permanently for life.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

First Chapter written and the story begins. What do you think of Luna?