Chapter Twelve-"You're looking at the new competition."

I walk up to the basketball court, where Ella is waiting for me.

"Ciao(Hi)," I greet as I approach her.

"Ciao(Hi),"Ella repeats, merrily and she pulls me into a hug.

"Che cosa(What)?"

"Sono così orgoglioso di te, Luna(I'm so proud of you, Luna)."

"Non ho fatto niente(I haven't done anything)."

"Si tu hai(Yes you have)."

"Che cosa(What)?"

"Lo rovinerò se te lo dico. Ora andiamo a giocare a basket(I'll ruin it if I tell you. Now let's go play basketball)..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up, confused. What was my dream telling me? Ella's words stay in mind as if they've been written in permanent marker: I'm so proud of you, Luna.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listen to Mom as she shuffles out of her bedroom and I follow her sleepily into the kitchen.

"Ehi, dormiglione(Hey, sleepyhead),"Mamma greets chirpily.

"Buongiorno(Good morning)."

I throw myself onto the nearest chair and waits for my breakfast. My mum places a plate of my favourite breakfast: Pane e cioccolato al latte(Bread with chocolate and milk).

"I basket hanno bisogno di tutta l'energia che possono ottenere(Basketballers need all the energy they can get)," she states as I munch after saying, "Grazie(Thank you)."

After finishing my delicious breakfast, I hop upstairs and get changed.

Today, I pick a pink Fila top, blue jeans and pink Adidas superstars, while my hair are in dutch braids. I attach some small silver hoops and add a small anklet on my ankle that has gold stars around it. I look at myself in the mirror one more time and smile at my appearance.

 "Buona giornata(Have a good day),"Mamma states as she quickly plants a kiss on my forehead.

"Anche tu(You too)."

I leave the house and take the bus to school. I put an earplug in each ear and I block the outside world so that only my music can be heard for the whole way.

At my bus stop, I walk off the bus casually stroll into school, acting as if Maria and Chloe are not at the school gates, no more talking as I pass by them.

For an unknown reason, my legs are shaking. Starting my what used to be my favourite sport is one thing. However, joining a club can get me to college, with a full scholarship even. For the first time the word college has crossed my mind. It was our only key to a bright future.

The key, that months ago, I had thrown away and promised myself never to dare look at it again. I've found it, but this time I have to do it alone.

Without Ella.

In front of me, there's a gym door that would be a regular if it didn't have what lies ahead of me in the future. I knock timidly waiting for someone to call me in.

"Yes?" I hear Coach Taylor grunt.

I push open the door, finding Coach Taylor peering at me, smiling when he realises who I am.

"Luna, how may I help you?"

"I've... uh...just was wondering...um...if the offer of joining the...basketball team...is still available?"

It seemed like the words were stuck to my throat and were struggling to come out. My heart raced a thousand miles per hour while I waited for coach's response. Coach Taylor's smile went even wider that I was scared that his face was about to crack.

"Of course, especially for a champ like you!"

I sigh of relief, glad that I've managed to ask the question with the answer I was wanting.

"Thanks, Coach. When do I start?"

"This afternoon if you can make it."

"Sure."

"Perfect."

"Have a good day."

"You too."

I leave the gym, smiling that I barely notice Logan and his friends just about to enter.

"Oh, hello," Logan awkwardly greets.

"Hey, Logan. Guess what?"

"What?"

"You're looking at the new competition. See you this afternoon."

I leave with a big smile on my face forgetting the looks I get from other students, never feeling so excited after these past few months.