Chapter 10 🌹

(Edited on 30th March 2020)

It's been thirty minutes since they arrived at the party and Kiara was already bored. Parties and gatherings were not her things unless it was only family and friends.
She was currently with Eliza and some of their college friends talking about their lives after graduation.

Kiara was not much of a chatter. So she only responded when talked to. Damon and Tyler were with a group of men talking about business and all. Max and Mira had arrived a few minutes after them and were currently talking with Mr Rox, the previous owner of the hotel. It was really kind of them for having invited him and his family.

She was itching to talk to Max and find out the reason why he had asked her and his son to be each other's date tonight. She somehow doubted that Max had a strong reason for this but still she needed to talk to him.

******
"Max, can we talk please?"
Kiara politely asked after excusing herself to the people he was with.
The party was almost over and the Mathews parents would be flying back home early in the morning. She needed to talk to them and could no longer hold herself back.

Mira who was standing on the right looked at her husband and nodded her head. The couple knew what the young lady wanted to talk about. They excused themselves and Max approached a waiter and requested him to ask Damon to join them in the office on the ground floor.

Once in the room, Kiara did not beat around the bush and finally let out the question that was on the tip of her tongue.
"Why did you ask asked us to be dates?"

She pointed to herself and Damon who had joined them as soon as he was told of his father's request.

Damon looked at Kiara then his father. If he was honest, he completely forgot about that. He was just happy coming to the party with her. Though it wasn't like he did not want to hear his father's answer.

Max let out a deep breath, readying himself for what he was about to say. Though it shouldn't be difficult and should be easy for both Kiara and Damon to accept. However, he could feel the slight tension between them. He did not know the reason but knew that it was not something good.

He gestured them to take a seat on the brown couch facing the office desk. He then took a seat on the chair in front of the desk while Mira sat down on the one accross from him.

Clearing his throat, he started
"Well I thought it would be a great idea since you are both betrothed to each other."

As soon as those words left his mouth, Kiara stood up not believing the words that left his mouth. She though that she misunderstood his words.

She looked at Max and was about to tell him to repeat himself, when he spoke again looking at her then Damon then back at her.

"Kiara both your parents and we," he gestured to Mia, "always wanted to strengthen our friendship and turn it into something more strong and valuable, a family relationship. At first we wanted to have you and Stephen be together.

Though with time we saw how you and Damon would glance and lovingly stare at each other when the other one was not looking. We knew that you both had feelings for each other. Your parents and us were very happy and wanted to speak with you both once you turned eighteen. But as you know things did not turn out as we wished."

Kiara stood still in her place. She was beyond shocked. She could not believe what she just heard. They knew about her feelings. But did she hear right about Damon having feelings for her. Gosh how wrong they were about that. She started laughing loud.

The others were shocked at her reaction. Max and Mira knew that she would be shocked and was expecting a reaction from her. Shock, unbelief, sadness, happiness. Anything but laughter.