Chapter 6 🌹

(Edited on 28th March 2020)

It's been almost 3 years since that night. The night Kiara's heart was broken and lost the chance to be with the man she loved. During these 3 years, she never went back home to New York. Eliza would make trips back to visit her parents and siblings but never forced Kiara to accompany her knowing that she was not ready to face the past. She was grateful that Max and Mira never questioned her about her lack of visit.

However now that college and graduation were over, Kiara had a decision to make. Either she settled down here in London and get a permanent job or go back home. This was a hard decision to make as she was still hesitant to come face to face with Damon and because of that the thought to stay back in London seemed to be a good decision.

On the other hand, she missed New York. It was her home which was close to her heart. She was born and brought up there. She missed the yummy food, the Mathews and the lovely memories that she made at the places she visited, some more than the others. The main reason was that in New York she felt closer to her parents. She felt their presence; like they were still there and not gone.

Kiara could feel a headache making its presence known. She placed down her tea and the photograph on the table. She rubbed her temples trying to ease the headache she always had whenever she tried to make a decision. She stood up and decided that it was time to get on with her day and stop pondering on the past. Eliza and her shared the same flat. Luckily she was at her boyfriend's Tyler home. Or else she would have given her an earful. She always reprimanded her when she sulked while reminiscing the past.

The rest of Kiara's day was spent at the small cafe where she worked. It was a busy day, it being a Saturday. At the end of her shift she was exhausted and wanted to just go back home and sleep. She quickly removed her apron and name tag putting it in the small locker in the staffs' break room. She took her back checking that her purse and mobile were in it just to be sure. She then said goodbye to Mrs Rose, the owner and her colleagues and exit the cafe through the back door.

Once she stepped outside, she took a deep breath a smile forming on her face. She was glad that work time was over. It was five thirty in the evening as she walked towards her apartment. There was 20 minutes of distance walk from her workplace and the apartment.

She was greeted by the building's receptionist, Eloise, when she entered the building.

"Good evening Kiara. How was work?"

"Hello Eloise, work was good and busy. I'm freaking tired."

Kiara replied giving her a small smile.

She nodded her head in understanding. Kiara waved her bye but as she turned around and took one step towards the lift, she heard Eloise say,

"Oh I forgot to tell you. In case you find the presence of someone else in your home just know that it's not an intruder but Eliza's brother."

She turned around so quickly that it would not have been surprising if her neck broke. She looked at Eloise with wide eyes and her mouth opened. She felt her heart beating so fast and her stomach churning. She could feel the cake and juice she last had making their way to her throat. She closed her eyes and calmed herself down.

Be calm Kiara, it could be Stephen and not Damon, she reprimanded herself, you always jump to conclusion.

Once calm she opened her eyes and looked at Eloise who was looking at her with a confused expression.

"Thanks for the warning."

Kiara thanked her with a tight smile. She did not dare ask which brother it was. She did not know what her reaction would be. She then made her way to the lift with shaking legs. She really hoped it was the young brother and not the elder one. She entered the lift and pressed the button for her floor number. During the ride she found herself tapping her right foot on the lift's floor and rubbing her hands; a sign of nervousness. Once the lift opened, she let out a sigh of relief.