Chapter 34: Kid's POV

Ch. 34
( Kid )

  Crona and I had finally bought our own apartment. It was small but it would do. One bedroom, one bathroom. The kitchen connected to the living room. With only a countertop separating them.

That's where we would eat our breakfast.

I always woke up five minutes earlier than Crona.

He took his coffee black with two packets of sugar. I took mine with creamer and only 1 packet of sugar.

Crona knew this, even though I was the one who would always make our coffee.

So he would know whenever something was wrong if I made my coffee black.

"You wanna talk about it?" He would ask.

I would shake my head no.

He respected it and asked no further questions.

Instead he would talk about the plans for the day.

It always made me smile.

"Maybe we can go to that hill that you like," he said.

My smile grew wider, "That sounds good."

He finished his coffee got up and put it in the sink.

"Come on, let's go." He said while changing in the living room.

"Now?"

"Yeah."

"But we haven't even had breakfast."

"Oh, yeah."

He came back into the kitchen and grabbed several items of food. I watched him as he searched the cabinets for a basket.

"We'll have a picnic." He said smiling.

I carried the basket because I always carried the heavy stuff.

Crona would always get upset because I always took the heavy things from him.

"What? You don't think I can carry it?" He would say.

"I do."

"Then let me carry it!" He went for the basket but I grabbed his hand and kissed it. He would roll his eyes but then smile because I still hadn't let go.

We reached the top of the hill and placed the basket in between us. I commenced removing the items in it.

"Really? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?" I said in a mocking tone, "How cliche, Crona." I smirked.

"Well, if you won't eat it, I will." He snatched the sandwich from my hand.

"Hey I just made that!"

He giggled and made me another one.

We spent two hours on that hill.

Laying side-by-side staring at the clouds.

We never said what they looked like. That wasn't our game. Our game was just to look up in silence. We didn't have to talk. The silences between us were never awkward.

Always thoughtful.

Crona turned to me, laying down on his side. This made me turn to him. I watched his eyes search my face. I never knew what he was searching for. He stroked my face. I put my hand on his.

He smiled.

I lived for his smiles.

"I love when you smile." I would always say, "why don't you do it more often?"

"I like saving them."

"What do you mean?"

"I save my smiles for the best of times. If I smile too much, then they won't be special." He explained.

It made sense.

Everything he said made sense.

I think that was my favorite memory of Crona, what he said about smiles.

I made sure to take a mental note.

Save your smiles.