Home

The doctor comes in after Evelyn leaves.
"Tris' leg is fine to go home, but she'll really need intense rest for both her leg and her body. Have her stay off it for the next 6 months to let the bones heal properly. Icing and elevating as much as possible. Then she'll start physical therapy to help restrengthen the bones and muscles. And congrats on the baby."
"Thank you."
The door closes. I see Tris awake.
"Sleep good beautiful?" She nods. "Ready to leave?" She nods. I see her trying to get up. "Let me help you." I go over and lift her leg over the side of the bed, while she rotated to stand up and hand her her crutches. She slowly makes her way over to the crib Taylin's sleeping in and holds her baby girl.
"Get the carrier."
"Ok." I grab the carrier that Evelyn bought us and she puts Taylin in it.
"I'll cary the bag."
"No Tris." I smirk. "I'll do it."
"Tobias, your arm."
"I'm fine." I grab the bag of all our stuff and throw it on over my shoulder. I can't put it over both so it just hangs. I open the door for Tris as she slowly makes her way out of our room. Taylin is still asleep as I push the stroller. I wish I could hold her. We leave the infirmary and are now passing the pit.
"Tobias. I need to stop." I turn around and realize how pale and tired she is. As she lowers herself on a bench near the stairs.
"Ok. Tris."
I walk over to her and take off the bag and sit next to her. I park the carrier between us and pull her into me. Someone is walking toward us. Evelyn.
"Need some help?"
"Yes Mother. Tris. You feel ok?"
I see her nod. I stand up and help her balance and hand her her crutches.
"Can you take the bag."
"Yes Tobias. I can the carrier."
"Thanks Mother." We take off towards our apartment. Evelyn following behind. Thankfully it's on the first floor. I keep my arm behind Tris in case she falls. She moves so slowly. I wish I could carry her. She seems so weak right now. I reach into my pocket to get the key and unlock the door. Stairs. I didn't think of this. Tris can barely walk, let alone do stairs. I see the exhaustion in her face. My arms now around her back for balance as she starts up the stairs one step at a time.
"Take your time Tris."
She continues up the stairs and Evelyn takes Taylin out of her carrier and carries her up the stairs. Evelyn said she got Taylin's room ready. We open the door to the only other bedroom. It's perfect. Tris is now snuggling her face in my chest.
"It's perfect Tobias." I kiss her forehead. Evelyn is now behind us with our crying daughter.
"I think she's hungry." I help Tris over to the rocker and help lower her down. I lean her crutches against the wall and run downstairs to get a stool and an ice pack for Tris. I help her lift her leg on top of the stool and place the ice on it. Evelyn hands her out crying daughter.
"I'll give you two some privacy. I'll see you tomorrow."
She leaves I hear the door lock behind her. I see an exhausted Tris lying there partially asleep trying to take off her shirt.
"Let me help you." Her shirt is now off and Taylin lies there and starts eating. I grab a pillow out of the closet and put it on Tris' lap to help her support Taylin and hand her a burp rag for when she's done. I hear the door alarm. I draw my gun. Someone's coming up the stairs. Eric.
"Four. Congrats." He looks rather embarrassed. I see Tris covering Taylin with the burp rag. " I hope I'm not interrupting anything but I need to talk to the both of you."
"What?" I'm furious that she had to come this minute. We just got home with our girl.
"As you now factional law must be upheld. You both have been out of work for the past week. The next group of initiates are here and I expect both of you to resume your jobs tomorrow. Am I clear?"
"Yes."
"Good. Tomorrow at the dorms 5 am sharp. Gods bye." He's leaving. He stops. "Congrats." And resumes leaving. I hear the door shut.
"Tris. I'm sorry."
"Tobias, it's not your fault."
I see Taylin is done eating and Tris burps her. She her for a few minutes and see she is asleep. I feel the anger building up in me. I try to not unleash it at Tris.
"Let go to bed. We both need our rest. Can you help me?"
"Yeah Tris." I say softly.
I walk over and put my arm around her and pull her up. Still holding Taylin, she puts her leg down. I see it in her face, her leg hurts. She's going to try to walk, she steps, she slips. I grab her. Use both arms. My injured arm grimacing with pain.
"Tris. No."
"Tobias. I have too." She's now crying.
"Tris." I pull her into my chest. I rub her back. "We'll get through this."
I place her crutches under her arms and she lies Taylin in my arm and makes her way over to the crib. We reach the crib and she takes Taylin and puts her in the crib.
"Goodnight baby. We love you. Let's go Tris." I put my arm around her and we make our way out. I turn the lights off and leave. We make it down to our room and I help her get on the bed. I feel her removing my sling.
"I'll do it Tris."
"Four. It's ok. I'll help you." She continues. Now she has the sling off. I feel her start to unwrap the gauze. "Tris. We're you going to tell me?"
"Yes." I hear quietly. "It was going to be your birthday present." I forgot it was my birthday. "Happy Birthday Tobias. I'm sorry." I feel her now hugging me.
"Sorry about what?"
"Not making it special for you." She continues to unwrap my gauze, then hers.
"Tris. This was the best birthday ever. I got engaged to you, you made me a father, and your ok." I stroke her hair so it's out of her face.
"Let's go shower." I help her up so she can shower. Evelyn put a seat in the shower. Tris lowers herself down and I slip on the cast cover and starts to undress. I now turn on the water and join her. I wish I was able to help her, but it's hard with one arm. I hear her.
"Let me help you." I realize I can't wash my hair with one hand. I sit down on the floor and hand her the soap. She washes my hair and helps me with my body. Then she washes herself. I try to help her as much as possible. Once she's done, I hand her a towel and help her regain her balance and give her her crutches. We make our way to our room and I pull clothes out for both of us. She dresses and I put my pants on. I help her sit on the bed and hand her the gauze. She raps up her core and my arm.
"I'm sorry Tris." I feel her rubbing my back.
"Sorry for what?"
"Not being able to take care of you. I should be caring for you during your recovery. Not the other way around." I now feel the tears.
"Tobias. It's ok. You need me. Your always there for me when I need you. I love you Tobias."
"I love you Tris." I kiss her forehead.
"I love you two."
"I love you three."
"I love you Four."
"I love you Six."
"What happened to five?"
"It always gets in the way." I feel her putting my sling back on and the ice on my shoulder.
"Get some rest." Lie down. The ice feels good, but I know she needs it more.
"Here. You need it more."I hand it to her.
"No Tobias." I feel it back on my shoulder and a kiss. "Goodnight."
"Goodnight Tris."
I see her breathing slow. I keep my good arm around her.
"I'm never going to let anything happen to you again." I kiss her. I drift off to sleep.