Chapter 7- Different from the rest

"Why did you suddenly accept it now?"

I looked up from my can. Moon-Jo was swirling the drink in the can he was holding. "Is it because ... I defended you yesterday?" He looked at me when I didn't reply immediately.

Now that I thought about it, I had never accepted any 'chicken and beer' invites before.

"I - well, thank you for that"

We were sitting on the terrace on a wooden bench, beer cans and a plate full of chicken fry between us.

"If I had known defending you is all it takes ..."

I looked down at my feet. "No one before has stood up for me and sorry, if it had seemed like I was avoiding you. After being in the office all day, there's only so much human interaction I can take."

"I understand... But I have one question to ask you if you don't mind?"

"What is it?" I asked curiously as I drink the beer from the can.

"Does your girlfriend usually just sit back and let anyone look down and talk bad things about you?"

"What?" my head snapped up.

"Jagiya, I know everything. I don't understand why she would you treat you like that. She was busy with her own problems that she barely give you the attention that you needed. But don't worry, I will be here you. I will protect you and I'll make sure no one can hurt you."

"You don't have to do this"

"I know. But I want to."

This weird pale complexion man, always dressed in black at home, talking about defending, protecting made my chest pang, made me feel warm despite the cold wind and I couldn't deny that whenever he smiled at me, I felt something.

"Thank you Moonjo-ssi, I appreciate it." I didn't address him with 'hyung' because I didn't know what else to address him with.

"Do you call everyone in the studio, jagiyah?" With the alcohol in my system, I felt bold enough to ask. I looked at him, stared into his eyes for the first time willingly. Moon-Jo was taken aback.

"Do I call the twins jagiyah?"

"No..."

"Do you see me calling 301 or the landlady jagiyah? no, because they're not you."

"Do you like me, Moon Jo-ssi?" I asked, batting my eyelids mockingly, unable to control my mouth.

"If I answer you now, will you still remember it the next day?"

"Yes of course! I-I'm not drunk okay"
I laughed, leaning back. Moonjo grabbed my hand to make sure I didn't fall back

"Sure." he chuckled.

"Moon Jo-ssi... Don't fall in love with me."

"Why not?"

"I don't have anything to give you"
I didn't intend to sound sorrowful. Even with Jieun, I didn't have a lot of things to give her. I pouted. I was such a horrible boyfriend. I heard the sigh first and then watched himself getting pulled closer. Some of the cans fell off the bench.

"I have nothing to give anybody" I mumbled, I am such a loser.

"Jong Woo-ssi, you have no idea what you are capable of. I can see it through your eyes the moment I first saw you. You don't have to give me anything, having you by my side is more than enough"

"What?" I looked up at him through the hair falling over my eyes.

With his left hand, Moon Jo combed my fringes, his fingers light and caring. "Don't think negative of yourself, okay?"

I nodded.

"How's the tenants? do they still disturb you?"

"Yeah they still do. I think I need to move out soon, I'm scared if I live here long enough I will turn crazy like them."

"You must think that you're the same as them." He said grinning "but don't worry, you're different. Unlike them, you can do anything you want."

I cried out in pain as the grip in reflex had gone tighter.

"Sorry" Moonjo immediately let go of my hand. I massaged my arm where the skin was redder than the rest.

*

I yawned, stretching his arms above my head. I smiled, I had a good sleep.

Have a good sleep, jagiya

I sat upright in shock.

I could remember someone kissing me on the temples. It was Moon Jo, he was the one kissing my temple.

What the hell?!

I flung my blanket aside, putting my legs down, ready to storm through the corridor.

"No, no, no." What would I even say?

So, I sat down.

Moon Jo-ssi, do you like me?

What the fuck is wrong with me? why did I have to ask? I had the suspicion the dentist is shameless and now his actions would get even more daring. I screamed with frustration.

"If you're having a headache," A female voice said from the other side of the wall, I startled and accidentally drop my phone on the floor "you can come to have tonic."

"Ah, Ahjumma!" I quickly picked his phone up to check. It was unscratched.

I didn't go for the tonic. I don't trust anyone here and she might put something in the drink. I dressed up hastily, picked my bag and dashed from the building.

When I was hurrying down the stairs,
I caught Moon Jo sitting in a corner near the smoking zone. But I just kept going.

*

"Are you going to keep avoiding me?" A voice called out from behind.

I entered the goshiwon without looking back. "It is not as if we kissed." I tripped on the stairs. I glared at him. Moonjo caught up with me easily. "Why are you running away from me?"

"I have a girlfriend." I had crossed one floor.

"And if she is removed?"

I paused. "I am tired. I just want to sleep." Then I continued climbing the stairs. As a few steps remained to enter their floor, I heard Moonjo say from behind,

"I told you once before. Once I bite, I won't let go."

The words almost made me stumble.

*

The next few days, I walked in the corridor, turned around the corners carefully, hesitantly, afraid of running into a certain dentist.

To save myself from further embarrassment, I decided not to go out from my room as and when I like. I think it's better this way, less interactions with those weirdos and I should feel safer right? I don't think I could face Moon Jo after knowing what I did that day. I should remind myself not to drink anymore if I didn't want to be killed.