~The Sixth~

The trees swayed and basically sang to me as I slow my speed to a brisk trot. I missed being a wolf. It's so freeing. I'm now completely dry, the wind having dried off the water from my bath. My cave-home comes into view and in a blinding flash of pure white light, I'm my normal form again. I open my door and find my way inside, pausing to let my eyes adjust to the dark. I grab a black hoodie I have stashed in a corner and pull it over my tank top. I don't have spare boots, though, so I'll have to go barefoot. I grab my necklace, and my box and shove them into a stolen back pack I found under my bed. I hesitate before carefully placing my teddy bear in the bag too. I pull the hoodie over my ears and the backpack on my back. Barefoot, I leave my home.

"Is there a soft way I can go without hurting you?" I ask out loud this time, as she can't understand my normal mental words.

"Yes," she replies, a baby deer emerging from the bushes.

"Thank you," her presence doesn't disappear, but more like quiet, signalling that our conversation is over. I follow the precious creature, the grass is somehow butter soft under my bare feet. Our journey is slow, but not unpleasant, the foal providing plenty of company. When we are maybe three quarters of the way there, I'm overcome with the sudden scent of malicious intent. My ears perk up and it's only because of my incredible speed that I'm able to jump in front of the foal. The knife had been aimed for her throat, so it pierced me just below my waist, in my left leg. I shut out the pain, pulling out the dagger. There was blood. Too much blood. Shit. He must have hit an artery. I had minutes. How is this going to shake out? Racing towards me is Alastor, his face full of apology and something I don't recognise.

"V!" He yells out to me. I ignore him, pocketing the dagger. I turn to the poor foal.

"Are you okay sweetheart?" I ask, my voice soft and caring. She just holds apology in her eyes. She slowly nods.

Yes I am alright. I jerk back, never having spoken to a deer (Other than Alastor) before. Let alone in my head. If I may? I nod. She leans forward and licks my wound, making it feel all warm and comforting. I sigh. Alastor is talking to me, but I ignore him for now.

"Thank you," I observe my now completely healed leg. She even licked up all the blood. She nods.

"V! Talk to me!" Alastor is yelling at me now. "Are you alright?!"

Oops. I forgot that the forest was still covering me. "Umm, thank you, but could you please stop now, and let him get to me?"

"Of course. You need only ask," suddenly Alastor is there, eyes locking on mine as I hold up the bloody knife.

"Is this yours?"

"Well, yes my dear, that's mine," he seemed nervous. "I thought I saw it hit you. Where is the deer?"

I step to the side slightly to allow him view of the completely unscathed foal. "You did hit me."

To his credit, Alastor just stayed quite, eyes scanning over me in a fruitless attempt to find any sort of wound. I held up a hand. He raised an eyebrow, but stopped. "This beautiful foal healed me when your knife hit my artery."

"Your....artery...?" Who knew Alastor could pale, but he did, suddenly looking like he had just seen a ghost. I nod. "You should be dead. Or dying."

I only nod again. "How are you alive?"

I smirk. "I couldn't die on ya yet, I made plans tonight," I walk back towards the river again, checking to see that Alastor and the foal were following. "It's rude to cancel plans on such short notice."

I laugh at the look on his face. "I'll meet you back at the hotel, alright?"

Alastor doesn't give any indication that he is about to leave me. But I want to talk to my new foal friend. my face softens. "Al. Please? I've proven that I'm strong enough to take care of myself, right?"

Alastor caves, mumbling something or other about being replaced and I laugh. The foal and I finally make it to the river and I shove my feet into my boots. "So, what's your name?"

"Ambrose," she answers. It really is an odd sensation, holding conversation with a deer.

"Well, Ambrose," I pause second guessing myself. "Um would you like to come with me...to the Happy Hotel...and maybe stay and live with me for a while?"

Ambrose hesitates. I guess she doesn't want to. I mean, of course she doesn't want to. Here she's free. Maybe I'll never se- "I would love to."

I feel myself glowing. " well then, we better get going!"