Protecting Secrets - Chapter 7

"I don't get it! Why do I have to have to come along too?" Chris mumbled. Dee sighed a little. She could hardly say that she didn't want to leave him alone, worried what he could do to himself.

"Because... I enjoy your company?" Despite the vague response, his face lit up and he smiled.

"Awwww. Really? Well, I guess I can come. Do I have to, like, change my clothes?"

"If I said yes, would you still come?"

"No chance."

"Right. What you are wearing is totally fine."

Chris smiled again, but it slowly dropped away, as his normal thoughts returned. As soon as it left his face, she wished she could see it again. It was such a rare thing now ways. Before Emily, before any of that, the two of them laughed and smiled continuously. But now, Chris is in his own little world of pain, unable to let anyone in, or come out himself. And Dee, constantly distraught at how little she could help him, had no idea what she should do any more.

How do you show someone all the wonderful things in the world, when they are completely blind?

Dee grabbed her car keys, slid her phone into her boot so she didn't have to carry a bag, and motioned Chris to follow her. They had two rooms to the south of the white house, on the inside of all the staff quarters. It had taken Dee a couple of days to get use to the new building, but now she had been here almost a week, and knew how to walk to the children's rooms in less than 7 minutes. With Chris trailing behind her, it took a little longer, but they still managed to arrive in good time.

"Sara? Are you almost ready? I was wanting to introduce someone to you."

"Almost there, just come in." Sara called, to which Dee follow her instructions and opened the door to her room. Sara had a considerable amount of her clothes spread the entire distance between her wardrobe, and her bed. She was wearing some cute tight skirt, but was apparently struggling with what finding a shirt to match. Her decision making process currently meant that she was not wearing a shirt when Chris entered.

Having drunk a few already (Wow. No way! Didn't see that one coming, did ya?) He lacked the appropriate skills to deal with the situation.

"Hi." He smiled at her. She screamed.

"WHAT THE HELL!" Sara yelled at him. Dee and Chris looked equally surprised.

"What did I do?" Chris complained.

"I'm not wearing a SHIRT!"

 "Aw relax. I've seen it all before."

"CHRIS. SERIOUSLY. Behave." Dee ordered at him, and with a roll of his eyes, he turned around and faced his back to both the girls. Sara glared at Dee.

 "What? I did say I wanted to introduce you to someone." Dee smiled, a little sheepishly. "This ... ah, this would be Chris. He is my best friend."

Sara picked up a shirt, and put it on.

"Is he coming to the party?"

"Yeah. Figured while you are off flirting, I can chill with my bestie, and stay way out of your way." Sara blushed at the suggestion of her flirting, and started to gather her things. In a couple of minutes, Sara stood before them wrapped in a jacket and jewellery, with her bag on her shoulder, and all ready to go.

"Right. If you follow me, I was thinking I could drive us all there. Rather than an escort from your father, Sara."

"Why can't Chris drive?" Sara asked, and both girls watched him stumbled a little over his own feet.