𝐗𝐈

I'M rounding the corner in the grocery store when my cart collides with another. The clang of metal resonates off shelves of boxed cereal, and I look up in surprise to see none other than Dr. Hale pushing the opposing cart, sleek and elegant in her heels as she shops for Pop-Tarts and sugar-free oatmeal. Her cell phone is wedged between her chin and shoulder.

"Shit," she exclaims, sparing me a wide-eyed glance. "Look, I got to go. I'll call you right back." She ends the call and slips the phone into her purse, and suddenly all of her attention is on me. I wouldn't have time to run away even if I wanted to. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Cameron's little protégée," she says slowly.

I bristle at her words and try to remind myself that I like Cameron, so it really shouldn't sound like such an insult. But seriously...Cameron's protégée? I did orientation with the guy for two weeks, and he was conveniently absent most of the time.

There were likely a lot of closets requiring his services, after all. Ahem.

Sweet Jesus, I can barely look her in the eye now.

"I guess that depends on who you ask," I say sweetly, attempting to move around her. Thankfully, I've only seen her a handful of times since that embarrassing encounter, and we haven't been forced to speak to each other. But now is a different story; she deliberately stands in my way, all but cornering me in the cereal aisle of The Central Market.

She's staring at me. One of those calculating, thoughtful stares.

I open my mouth to speak again, but she cuts me off. "Walk with me, April. I want to talk to you for a minute."

Shit.

I swallow, but eventually turn my creaky cart around so that I'm walking beside her down the aisle. She's silent for at least a good thirty seconds, though it feels like much longer. I'm not really sure what to say. I'm too embarrassed by what happened the other day, and any conversation starter I come up with just sounds lame.

Finally, without slowing her walk, she begins. "I was wondering what Cameron has told you about me."

I'm confused by this. Confused and a little wary.

"Nothing," I answer honestly. "He hasn't really told me anything."

She stops and looks at me. "Really?"

"Yes..."

"Huh." She begins walking again. She looks thoughtful.

I figure since she brought it up, this is probably an excellent time to dig for more information. Cameron has proven to be a secretive little shit, and I still haven't gotten a word out of him. "Why do you ask?" I wonder conversationally, matching my pace with hers.

"No reason," she says. "Simply curious." She glances at me. "Sorry about the other day. That was highly inappropriate of us. I don't want you to think less of me for what...happened."

"No worries," I lie, shrugging off her apology. In reality, my brain is still a little fried from the image. "I'm sure everyone has gotten it on in the janitor's closet at least once or twice. Well, I haven't, but...you know. Everyone else."

She snorts. "Just give it some time. I've seen you around Harry, April. You can hardly keep your eyes off him whenever he's around."

Damn, am I that obvious? I don't say anything. I'll probably just incriminate myself further if I do.

"You know, I kind of like you," she goes on.

"Really?" I ask, surprised.

"Sure. Harry seems to like you. And I trust his judgment."